Thankful people are happier!

"Its not happy people that are thankful, its thankful people that are happy!"

Its been 2 years since I began my "gratitude journey" and I can honestly say the quote above is true! Since I begin actively searching for reasons to be thankful on a daily basis, I am a happier, more peaceful person. I think I'm more peaceful because now that I am recognizing God's gifts each and every day I realize that regardless of the situation, God is at work and He loves His children. Even as I look back over this day, I can point out at least 10 reasons to be thankful in this day alone! 

So, in honor of Thanksgiving...here it goes!

1. We took the boys to the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade this morning. Yes, it was cold and we had no idea where we were going but it was so much fun! I am so thankful we decided to spend a couple of hours in the cold! This is a a precious memory that I will never forget!

Awww...our sweeties at the parade.

2. We only arrived about 15 minutes before the parade began so I was a little nervous that we wouldn't be able to find a place to park the stroller so that the boys could see but I was worried for no good reason! God allowed us to have a front row seat so that both of our sweet guys could see every float, band, and clown! I am thankful that God is at work in the small details of our lives.


Look at the crowd that gathered behind us...

3. This afternoon we drove to Lansdale to spend some time with Nana Smith. It was such a joy to spend the afternoon with her and have dinner together. She was very excited to see her great grandchildren. The boys were so sweet with her! I am thankful for the opportunity for Nana Smith to spend time with her great grandsons. I know it means the world to her!


Nana Smith and Evan
4. I've been knitting scarves for the past couple of weeks. Nana Smith saw my scarf and really liked it. I actually made her one on the way up to Pennsylvania so I was able to give it to her this afternoon. She loved it! She even wore it the rest of the day. I am so thankful that I was able to bring her joy!


Nana Smith and me...in our scarves

5. Since we spend our Thanksgivings in Pennsylvania with family, we have our dinner at whatever restaurant we can find that's open. We had a lovely dinner at TGI Friday's this year. Everyone enjoyed their food and the fellowship was wonderful too! I am thankful to live in a place where food is readily available and for the ability to go to dinner with family.


6. After dinner we took Nana Smith back to her nursing home. We took the boys in with us and she just had to show off her great grandsons! She made sure her nurses knew their names and saw their smiling faces. As I watched her beam with pride, I couldn't help but praise God for family. I am thankful that we have so many wonderful people in our lives who love us and our children.

7. When we were leaving Nana's nursing home Dylan asked me if we could move closer to Nana because he wants to see her more often. It warms my heart to hear him say such sweet things. He has an enormous heart! I am thankful for Dylan, his kind spirit and his gentle heart. I cannot wait to see all that God is going to do through this little guy!

My big boy, Dylan

8. I talked with my mom on the phone earlier and she told me of her first Thanksgiving without her mother. As I spoke with her, I was filled with gratitude for my mom. I cannot imagine my life without her. What a blessing it is to have a good relationship with my parents!


Me and my Mom

9. My sweet little Evan has been an angel on our trip. Tonight, however, he was really fussy because of a bad diaper rash. He was almost inconsolable. Everywhere I went he followed. He was attached to me! I loved every minute of it even though he didn't feel well. I love being his mommy. I love that he wants me to hold him and care for him. I am thankful for this precious gift from God!


My lil' monkey, Evan

10. We've had a wonderful trip so far. I absolutely love spending time with my family. Each year that we travel to Pennsylvania, I can't help but think back on all the years I traveled here with Bryan and his family when we were in high school and college. Each time we traveled to PA, Bryan and I would dream of moving here. Once we got married and had children, we decided that it would be best to stay close to our families but when I'm here, I always think back on those young love birds. Now, I realize that God has given us all our dreams, except living in PA. What an amazing gift to be married to my high school sweetheart. We spent years dreaming of the days we are living through now. I am so thankful for my husband and all the blessings God has showered upon us as a couple.



Okay, there they are...ten reasons I'm a happier, more peaceful person. Each of the things above are really just examples of God's hand at work in my life. I give Him all the glory and praise! He deserves it! He gives me so many reasons to be grateful!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes