An Olympic sized dedication

During our worship service today, Pastor Steele shared Bryshon Nellum's story. Bryshon was a star long before he ever stepped foot on a college campus. He was destined to be an Olympian but on Halloween Night in 2008, Nellum was shot in both legs during a drive-by shooting. The doctors believed that he would walk again but most likely never run again. Nellum, however, had a dream and nothing could stop him. After countless hours of training, Nellum pushed himself all the way to the 2012 Olympics. He won silver in the Men's 4x400-meter. After a vote by his team mates, Nellum will be carrying the American Flag during tonight's closing ceremonies. 
Can you imagine the dedication it took for Nellum to make it to the Olympics? The doctors thought he would never run again but he won silver in the 2012 Olympic games! The hours of training, the sweat, the tears and the countless frustrations reveal his Olympic sized dedication. 

That's what I want! I want Olympic sized dedication in my Christian walk. I will never become the Christ follower I want to be without that type of devotion. I have to be willing to do whatever it takes to stay focused on my Heavenly Father. I have to abandon anything that hinders my faith. I have to run full force towards the finish line, always aiming to please and honor God. I want to run this race wholeheartedly, with deliberate concentration on my Lord, even when the road is rocky. The world tells us this isn't possible but with God, all things are possible.

Today I am thankful for inspiring stories like Bryshon Nellum's. Though Nellum doesn't necessarily attribute his comeback to God, this story causes me to consider what true dedication is. Am I willing to give my all to serve my God? No matter what it takes, I want Olympic sized dedication!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes