Command = Blessing

This morning during my quiet time I read Philippians 4:6. It says, " Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." I've probably read this verse at least 100 times before but today, I decided that maybe I should break the verse apart to see exactly what it means. It sunk in on a whole new level.

 "Do not" is not a suggestion, it is a command. God isn't saying "Hey, maybe you shouldn't be anxious." No, instead He is saying, "Do NOT be anxious."  The definition of anxious is "experiencing worry, unease, or nervousness, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome." So God is telling me not to worry or be nervous about anything. Not just some things but anything.  Instead, He wants me to bring each and every situation to Him with prayer, petition, and a grateful heart. 

That is easier said than done, actually. I've tried for years not to worry but I still worry. So today, I decided to intentionally take every little worry to God in prayer, with thanksgiving. Regardless of how big or how small, I prayed about each circumstance while thanking God for caring about me and the things that worry me. (It's amazing how many worries I have in one day. Wow.) Believe it or not, taking each of those worries to God and asking Him to handle it and then thanking Him for handling it, really is better than just worrying over it. Who knew?

Today I am thankful that God wants me to bring my cares and concerns to Him. He knows that worrying is pointless and He wants so much more for me. I have a personal relationship with the Creator of the world, what do I really have to be anxious about anyway?  Whether it's dishes piling high in the sink, a whiny child, unexpected bills, a migraine, 4 months of not sleeping well, an argument with a loved one, little boys that won't stop bickering, a to-do list a mile long, chronic pain, concerns about the future, or anything else that might pop up, God commands us to bring it to Him. He wants to take care of it for us. Today was surprisingly relaxing because instead of being anxious about 77 different things, I just kept going to God. And a grateful heart is the result. This command is such a blessing. Thank You, Father!

I hope I remember to do it again tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes