No better way to start 2014!

God blessed us with an amazing New Year's Day! We were able to be the hands and feet of Christ by serving lunch at the local homeless shelter. Bryan and I began talking with Dylan about the homeless over a month ago when we went to New York City because we saw a lot of homeless there. Ever since, he has been asking to help serve at the shelter. I inquired about serving but it just didn't work out and it kind of slipped my mind until last week when Bryan and I saw a tent community in the woods of Greensboro. After seeing all those homeless folks living in the woods, I decided that day that I would be persistent about setting up a time to volunteer. When we have a servant's heart, God will provide opportunities for us to serve! Yesterday I was told that the shelter had no volunteers for lunch today so I immediately agreed to help! 

Bryan, Dylan, my mom, my best friend Melissa, and her son Shane, and I had a wonderful time serving a "traditional" New Year's meal today to 66 men and women. We dished out ham, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, corn, greens, and bread. Shane and Dylan were really big helpers! I was so proud of them. Once the meal was complete, we celebrated one of the resident's birthday by serving a birthday cake. The boys carried each resident a piece of cake and told them "Happy New Year." They weren't shy at all. The residents were grinning from ear to ear while watching these little fellas serve them. 

Before we went to the shelter today, Dylan worked very hard on a written "announcement" he wanted to share with the homeless shelter residents. After the meal and the cake were cleaned up, Dylan read his announcement to the entire group. It said, "Have a Happy New Year. Jesus loves you!" Everyone cheered and clapped after he read it. I was so proud of my lil' guy! He did it all by himself, without anyone even knowing what he had in mind. I love his heart to serve and share Jesus!
My mom and Shane dishing out black eyed peas
Dylan and Daddy scooping greens and corn.
Dylan and Shane helping with drinks. Aren't they so cute??
Our "assembly line."
"Happy Birthday to you!"
Melissa and Dylan handing out pieces of cake.
Dylan sharing his "announcement."



Today I am thankful for the Crisis Ministry of Davidson County. This ministry currently provides housing and meals for 48 men and 18 women. They also have a separate home that houses 8 families with children. Without this organization, these precious people would have no where to go on these cold winter nights.  God has really softened my heart lately toward the homeless so I am incredibly grateful for this ministry and all the people that volunteer to help those in need. I am also thankful that God orchestrated such a wonderful way for us to celebrate New Year's Day! I honestly cannot think of a better way to start 2014!

Comments

  1. Hi Tori..i am so blessed just by reading your blogs..i feel i am getting to know a truly lovely daughter of God..have a wonderful day x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave an encouraging message

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes