Who is this amazing God-man?


I think I often get too comfortable with "who" Jesus is. I forget how amazing He is and how selfless it was for Him to willingly take on flesh, walk on the earth, suffer on the cross and die for my sins. Isn't humbling to consider that even demons have more reverence for Jesus than most people do? Oh Father, forgive us!

I was reminded of Jesus' power today at MOMS when we discussed the story found in Mark 5 about Jesus restoring life to demon possessed man. When Jesus got out of the boat this man was running toward the hill toward Him. The demons immediately knew who He was and were begging Him not to throw them into the abyss. The demons had to obey Jesus. His power is undeniable!

We also looked at Hebrews 2:14-15 which says, "Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the deviland free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death."  As people, we spend our entire lives trying to get rid of our "flesh." We are constantly trying to be happy, loose weight, change habits, be younger, reduce our pain, find ways to feel satisfied, etc. Jesus willingly stepped out of heaven and put on what we are trying desperately to get out of. He put on our hardships, our pain, our emotions, our frustrations and dissatisfaction. He shared in our humanity so that He might break the power of death. If that doesn't excite you, I don't know what will!

Who is this amazing God-man? He can calm a storm, heal the blind, raise the dead, and cast out demons. He didn't have to come here and take on all the difficulties of this world but He did. He did it for you. He did it for me. And I'm convinced that He would have done it all even if it saved you alone. He loves you that much!

Today I am thankful for Jesus! John 1:14 says "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." How amazing is that? God wrapped Himself in skin and took on all the junk we deal with in life. I can't even imagine a love like that! I am grateful that Jesus has experienced life here on earth. I am thankful that He can sympathize with our pain and heartaches. I know His love is genuine and that He cares for me. Understanding who Jesus is comforts me as I run the race set out before me. I find great joy knowing that this God-man is cheering me on! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes