A blessing or not a blessing, that is the question!

I've recently started doing Beth Moore's Bible Study, The Patriarchs. So far, I am really enjoying learning about the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. As a part of the study, Beth shared something she and her daughters like to do. They enjoy some "Bible-based humor" by spending time labeling things in life as A.B. (a blessing) or N.A.B. (not a blessing). She called it humor because they label things like Mexican food as A.B. and mosquitoes as N.A.B. (haha!)

Believing that every blessing comes from the Lord above, this activity can cause the soul to be overcome with thanksgiving! As you know, I enjoy finding reasons to be grateful each and every day so I decided to look back over my day and label everything A.B. and N.A.B. 

Here it goes....

 A Blessing  (A.B)
Not a Blessing (N.A.B)
*Waking up next to the love of my life

*The medicine I need to get rid of the headache
*Taking a warm shower
*Waking my sweet 1 year old son up
*Being greeted by Dylan’s amazing smile
*Singing with the Upstreet Praise Team
*Listening to my husband’s Sunday School lesson
*Enjoying church with Bryan and my dad
*Singing praises to my Heavenly Father
*Having a yummy lunch with friends
*Taking a much needed nap 

*Having pain medicine to help with my pain

*Rocking my baby on the couch
*Spending time with my Great Aunt and Uncle

*Making chocolate chip cookies with Dylan
*Giving my boys a bath
*Enjoying warm cookies and a glass of milk
*Doing devotions with my family and praying together
*Kissing my children goodnight and tucking them in
*Watching a movie with my hubby


*Waking up with a headache, again












*Having a rough afternoon of back pain

*Evan’s teething accompanied by a fever


*Having to empty the dishwasher (ha,ha)

Wow, look at all those blessings and I could have been much more specific and detailed too. Even the N.A.B.'s could technically be seen as blessings...at least I have dishwasher! Evan's getting teeth! Without my back pain I wouldn't be able to stay home with my children each day! These early morning headaches remind me that God has given the medicine I need to take the headache away each day!

Making the "A.B./N.A.B" list has helped me to see how many amazing blessings I receive each and every day! I take most of these things for granted or consider them things I am entitled to but in reality, they are all true gifts from God! Today I am thankful for each and every little gift God has bestowed upon me and family today. From the beds we all woke up in to the shoes we put on our feet. From the church we worship in to the time we are able to spend together as a family. From the cookies we made in our oven to the bathtub our boys bathe in. From the smile on my healthy little boy's faces to the ability to pray over our children. From the medicines so readily available to the love we share with one another. From the friends we shared lunch with to the Bible stories we share with our boys. From the beating of our hearts to the home we "do" life in together as a family. "Every good and perfect gift is from above" James 1:17a. Thank you Father, for your abundant blessings!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes