I will follow you everywhere...

This morning Dylan and I were about to make some "special 4th of July" candy (as he calls it) when he ran up to me and hugged me around the waist. He said "Mommy, I will follow you everywhere you go! I just love you!" 

Drip, drip, drip...that is the sound of my heart melting!!! 


How adorable is he!?! 

Although he said it in fun, his statement is pretty profound actually.  In many cases, our children do follow us where everywhere we go. So, as parents, we need to be careful where we are leading our children. Its easy to live as if they are oblivious to what we are doing and saying but they are little sponges!

 Lately, Dylan has been using the word "mimicking." (He uses it correctly and will tell you the definition! Smart little booger!) This afternoon, when we were driving, we saw an accident and Dylan started praying for the victims, the police officers, EMT, etc. As he prayed, I noticed that he was mimicking the way I pray. He was saying some of the exact same things he has heard me say and I realized that I am teaching him to pray! It is such an honor because I absolutely love hearing his little voice calling on our God and I know God must love it too! Just as he mimics my prayers, he sometimes mimics my southern expressions like "oopsy daisy" or "see ya later alligator," and even my organizational habits. Those things are innocent enough but I'm sure there are some not-so-cute things he mimics as well. 

Today I am thankful that Dylan is following me, that I have the opportunity to lead him and his little brother to the throne of our Heavenly Father and that I am able to intentionally set a good example for them (most days).  I am also grateful for the reminder that kids pick up on everything we do. We can't live by the rule "do as I say, not as I do." They are aware of the good, the bad, and they ugly so I need to make sure I'm setting an example that I want them follow. 

Dear Lord, I praise you for my children and for the opportunity to lead them. Please give me the ability to set a good example for them and help me to lead them to you. Please help me to leave a heritage of faith for them and the generations that follow. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes