Family: God's gift to us!

You don't choose your family.  They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.
  ~Desmond Tutu

This morning, at the YMCA, I met a grandmother who was showing off pictures of her grandchildren. She had their photos in a make-up case that had several picture slots on the sides. I know from experience that this is a pretty common thing for grandmothers to do but this scenario was a little funny because her grandchildren were grown men. As she shared the photos, she called out their ages, 27-31 years old. I can't help but wonder if these adult men know that their grandmother is so stinkin' proud of them that she is still showing off their photos in the YMCA locker room. I hope they know how much she loves them! 

I have had the privilege of taking dinner to my only living grandparents once a week, for the past 3 weeks. Of course, my grandmother doesn't want me to be inconvenienced but I have really enjoyed making meals for them and visiting with them when I deliver the food. Dylan and Evan have had a lot of fun spending time with them as well. Last week I made a pot roast that my grandmother was really proud of. She bragged about it to my mother and my step dad. Today, as I witnessed another proud grandmother talking about her grandchildren, I couldn't help but think of my grandmother and her gratitude and excitement over the meals I have delivered. 


My grandmother, Dylan, and me.
Dylan is 1 and 1/2 in this photo.
My grandfather with Evan.
Evan is only 2 weeks old in this photo.

Although I am not grateful for my grandmother's sickness which has caused me to start making dinners for her, today I am very thankful for the opportunity to spend more time with her and my grandfather. Family is such a special thing! As I looked around my grandparent's house today, I noticed tons of pictures of their grandchildren. I guess they must be pretty proud of all of us! 

What a blessing it is to have parents and grandparents, sons and daughters, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, cousins and friends to share life with! Life would get pretty boring and lonely without all the folks God has placed in our lives.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes