Faithful to Follow



I went to a Women's Fellowship at church tonight. We enjoyed tea and desserts while some of the missionaries from our church shared about their work around the world. We heard from 4 ladies who have all been serving in different locations around the world. The first of these ladies is in her early 20's and just got married. She and her new husband are serving in Bolivia. The second missionary shared how God has called her and her family back to the United States after serving several years in the Middle East.  The third lady shared that her young family had been in 3 different locations with different languages in 8 years and are now considering serving in Kenya. The fourth woman and her family are serving in Thailand in the Red Light District which is know for prostitution and human trafficking. As I listened to these ladies share, I was so amazed. I guess I've always thought of missionaries as "larger than life Christians" that don't deal with the same ol' stuff I deal with. I was wrong! It was so refreshing to hear them tell of the hardships they've endured and their constant need to draw near to God. I guess I was thinking that since they've been called to missions, they must be much further along on their Christian walk. After hearing their stories, their heartaches, their concerns, I realized that God can and does use anyone! They aren't super-human, they're just faithful followers of Christ that obeyed His call on their lives!

I was also reminded tonight that people around the world are dealing with tragedies that never even enter our minds here in the United States. One of the stories that stands out is about a girl from Thailand. When she was only 7 years old, her father accrued a large gambling debt. In order to pay off his debt, he sold her mother into sex slavery. The mother escaped a few years later but died soon after. This sweet girl was sent to the city to "earn money for her family" when she was only 12 years old. When the missionaries met her, she was 16 years old and working in a massage parlor. She has since given her life to Christ, moved into a Christian orphanage and started going to school. This missionary mom has brings her into their home daily to teach her to cook, sew, clean house, read, etc. What a blessing she has been in the life of this precious child! 

One common theme among all the missionaries was their excitement about being a blessing to others, even if its only one person! Can you imagine packing your family, traveling all over the world, learning several new languages, moving to poor and horrific places, working hard to build relationships and share your faith with people from different cultures...all for just one person? They can and they do. I was really blessed by these ladies and their stories. I was touched by their faith and their honesty about their fears and concerns. I was inspired by their commitment to God and their complete dependence on Him. 

Today I am thankful for the Women's Fellowship and the ladies who shared their experiences as missionaries. It can't be easy but God is directing their steps and they are faithful to follow Him. They are average women...just like me! That really inspires me to consider what God would have me do! How can I step out in faith? How can I be a blessing to others, even if it's only one? How can God use me? Am I willing to obey when He calls? 

Lord, Thank You for the ways you've used these women and their families. Please use me and my little family to touch the lives of others, even if its only one! Direct our steps and help us to be faithful to follow You. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes