Fireworks and memories....


Last night, on the fourth of July, we took our little guys to a parking lot near Oak Hollow Lake and to watch the fireworks. As we sat there watching the sky light up,  I was overcome with déjà vu. I recalled a time when I was 15 years old, watching the fireworks with Bryan. 

In our little town the fair was a pretty big deal. Every September the fair came to town and throughout the entire week, each night would end with beautiful fireworks. On school nights we weren't allowed to hang out that late but on the weekends, Bryan and I would often watch the fireworks from the "triangle" in our neighborhood. We lived in the same neighborhood and a big patch of grass in the shape of the triangle was the half way point between our houses. We often hung out together and with other neighborhood friends at the triangle. We often watched the fireworks from this place. 

When I was 15 and Bryan was 17, he had a black mustang. This September night we drove up the road, past the triangle, a little closer to the fair grounds. We got of the mustang and laid on top of the hood. We watched the fireworks and talked about our future. I know it seems a little silly to most but I always knew I would marry that blond haired boy. When we talked about future, we always got excited about getting married after college and having a family. It seemed like those dreams would never come true. We were so young and time seemed to stand still. 

Last night, while using the hatchback feature in our van, I looked over at Bryan and recalled that night nearly 16 years ago.  Looking back, I can't help but wonder where that time went. It used to stand still, didn't it? As I looked at my husband, hugged our five year old son and held my baby boy in my arms, I realized that our dreams have come true. To say that God has blessed us in many ways is a complete understatement. As individuals and as a couple, Bryan and I have made some really poor choices over the years but somehow, even with all the mistakes, God has made all our dreams come true. Of course, there are a few new dreams and desires but honestly, in that moment, I could not have asked for more.


Today I am thankful for fireworks and memories. Those sweet moments of last night caused me to look back and see how far we've come. Even though we were both set on paths of destruction, God directed our steps and lead us right where He wanted us. Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Regardless of the mistakes we've made, God had a plan for us and He made sure it happened. I am so thankful that God has plans for us, plans to prosper us and give us hope. What a gift that is to carry into an unknown future. Whatever happens, God has a plan and no one and no thing can thwart that plan. Hallelujah! I am also grateful for the life God has blessed me with. I have all I dreamed of as a teenage girl and so much more! My path has contained plenty of bumps and curves but each of those helped lead me exactly where God wanted me. 

Its good to look back now and then, to see how blessed we really are. It helps to put things in perspective, to consider what really matters, and to trust in the One that directs our steps.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes