Literacy

As a teacher, literacy is a very important issue to me. I recently read that the literacy rate was probably only 3% when the New Testament was being written. Today the literacy rate is approximately 86% in America. Most of us probably don't even know someone that is illiterate.

This evening Bryan and I were reading books with Dylan. I was so proud as I listened to him call out some of the simple words he knows and point to the words as we read. Dylan is only 3 and 1/2 years old and is already learning to read! Its just the basics of course but its a start. The video below shows him reading his first leveled book. 

 Today I am thankful that we live in a time and place where literacy is important and education is available to all. I am also grateful or the education I have received. It definitely helps me as I am teaching my children.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes