Love Came Gently

Some circumstances have been a little different this year with our family get-togethers so for the first time, we were able to attend our church's Candlelight Christmas Eve service. I was incredibly blessed by this service tonight. The choir sang a song that I had never heard before. It was called, "Love Came Gently." Here are some of the lyrics:

"No applause, no fanfare of trumpets
Heralding Hope had come to Earth.
For the Promise tenderly entered
Choosing instead a humble birth.
Love came gently, sweetly to save us.
Knowing the price He'd have to pay.
And to all who trust in the Savior
Love comes gently still today"

As I listened to this song I was holding my 3 month old son, holding the hand of my three year old son, sitting a few people away from my 6 year old son and sitting next to my 33 year old husband. I couldn't help but picture Jesus at all of these ages. Instead of entering our world in a triumphant way, He was born as a baby in a stable, not in a palace or even a home, but a stable. Mary held Him just the way I was holding Tyson tonight. He cried and cooed and stole the heart of his Mommy. Then, a few years later, He was running around full of joy and excitement, just like my sweet Evan. As I held his little hand tonight, it was like I could almost see Jesus at that age. He was once six years old as well, just like Dylan. He was inquisitive and energetic and learning all that He could. Jesus was growing up, becoming a young man. There are many ages and phases in between that I've yet to encounter but as I looked at my husband, I saw a man the same age that Jesus was when He gave His life for mine. He took my sins upon His own shoulders because He loves me so much. He was only 33. He was so young, so full of life, so important to the people around Him. As I looked at all the fellas God has blessed me with, I was reminded that He really was real. He really was here. He really was with us. He really did go through everything we go through. He really did endure hardships and experience joy. He really did cry tears of joy and sorrow. He really did come to this Earth in a humble way to give His life because there was no other way. He really did come gently. And He'd do it again, I'm sure.


Today I am thankful for the ability to start attending our church's Candlelight Christmas Eve service. It was a beautiful service that reminded me of who Jesus really is and how much He loves you and me. I am grateful for a Savior who was willing to come to Earth in such a humble way, to live in this difficult, fallen world and give His life as sacrifice for the people He loves. If we take a close look at His life we can clearly see WHO He is and how much He loves us and then all we can do is worship and say "Thank you!"  He came gently to save us and if we trust in Him, love comes gently still today. 

Merry Christmas! 
May you clearly see who Jesus is this Christmas season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes