The Key

I've been dealing with chronic low back pain for 4 years now. Recently my upper back has become very painful as well. Yesterday, my doctor told me that I will most likely suffer from chronic upper back pain in conjunction with the lower back pain because my upper back over compensates for the weakness in my low back. It makes perfect sense but it is hard to wrap my mind around. More pain? Really? My back was so out of "whack" yesterday that I had a rib out of place! The doctor had to push it back in place. I didn't even know that could happen!

Honestly, the thought of more chronic back pain is overwhelming but after seeing how God has used pain in my life in the past, I know I can trust Him with this pain as well. During my quiet time I have been learning how our weaknesses are the key to unlocking God's strength. Just as with any key, if we don't use it correctly, we will not be able to unlock the door. When we use our weaknesses incorrectly, we don't unlock God's strength. We can stay focused on our weaknesses and in turn only magnify the weakness OR we can focus on God and allow His strength to shine through our weaknesses.  A change in focus changes everything. It changes us!

God has used the weakness in my back in so many wonderful ways already. It has changed me as a wife and a mom. I have learned to let go of things and appreciate things more. My dreams have changed. My priorities have changed. And most importantly, I have grown closer to Him than I would have ever imagined. Even though it can be so difficult to deal with, I am truly grateful for my back injury and the pain that continuously pushes me closer to God. So, I guess I am thankful for the additional chronic back pain that I have to look forward to. Its another key with which I can unlock God's strength! I have seen God's strength unlocked with my weaknesses already so I can't wait to see His strength continuing to be revealed.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes