Tornado!!! (because what else do you name a blog entry like this?!)


This afternoon we took an impromptu family trip to wal-mart and then went to a local pizza place for dinner. I had planned to go to wal-mart by myself but at the last minute, Bryan decided to go with me. After being in wal-mart for about 30 minutes, we walked out into a terrible storm. We got absolutely drenched as we made our way to the van. We didn't think much of it, just got in the van, dried our arms and legs with burps cloths from Tyson's diaper bag, and headed to dinner. After we ate our pizza, we came out into beautiful sunny weather. I never, ever expected to hear on our way home that a tornado had gone through our neighborhood while we were at dinner. As we slowly approached our house, we feared the worst. I have to admit, I expected to see half of our house blown away. 

First we noticed a big mess in our front yard. The trash cans had been picked up and thrown across the yard and trash was everywhere. We also noticed that the basketball goal was laying over on a trash can only inches away from Bryan's car. We got out of the van and Bryan quickly went to check the rest of the house. The back yard looked significantly worse than the front. Our shed in the backyard was busted up and knocked over. Our patio table and umbrella had been tossed up against the house and the metal umbrella stand bent in half. All of our chairs were thrown into the yard. Toys and trash and boxes and all sorts of stuff were all over the place.  But our house was just fine!!!!



That table, umbrella, 4 chairs, and 3 stools USED to be
sitting on the porch!
:Look how it bent the metal on the umbrella!!
Chairs were all over our yard!
Tree sliced in half!
This thing was powerful!
Our boys and neighborhood kids cleaning up our yard
I wish my words could adequately describe the level of awe that fills my mind right now. As we surveyed the area and talked with neighbors, it has become clear that our house should have been demolished. Diagonally across from our house, several trees were uprooted and thrown. Two doors down, a tree was split in two.  So, there was damage in front of our house, behind our house, diagonally across from our house and on both sides of our house. Why isn't our house decimated? 

"He will cover you with his wings. Under the feathers of his wings you will find safety. He is faithful. He will keep you safe like a shield or a tower." Psalm 91:4

You may think I'm silly but I honestly don't care...ha! I believe that our Heavenly Father wrapped His great big arms around our home and protected it! If you don't agree with me, come look at the damage in our neighborhood! Our house should be a wreck right now! I also believe that He protected my boys from witnessing a tornado pass by their home. I've heard that the sound a tornado is horrific and can cause a tremendous amount of fear. Plus, this one came out of nowhere, there were no warnings on the news. We probably would have just been sitting in living room when it happened. I just can't imagine how scary that would have been for our boys. Instead, we were blissfully ignorant, eating our pizza, laughing and enjoying one another. We were never even aware that a tornado was whirling beside our house! Oh, He is good, isn't He!??

The picture doesn't do it justice but can you see that obvious hole
in the tree line? If you could see it in person, you'd clearly see
the path of the tornado. 
This is the view from the uprooted trees that are diagonally
across from our house. (That white house is ours!) There was damage
in front, behind and on both sides and across from our house.
Praise God, our house was untouched!
Today, I am thankful for the protection my Heavenly Father provided for my family. He protected the home He blessed us with only a year ago and we enjoy so much! He also shielded my littles from all the fear that could have originated if we had been at home. My heart is so full of gratitude and joy! Thank you Father! You know exactly what we need, when we need it, even when we have no clue! We can trust You! You are faithful! You are our shield! We are safe in You!

Oh, and one more thing I've learned today. Sometimes, cravings for pizza are really a prompting from God to get of your house! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes