Ignorance is bliss, right?

I witnessed one of the most horrific things I've ever seen today. I went to the post office around 11:00am and there was an ambulance there. While I was putting Evan in the stroller, I overheard someone saying that a man recently passed out inside the post office. That explained why the ambulance was there and I didn't think much of it so, we went inside. As soon as we walked in the door I saw the EMT workers giving the man chest compressions.  It was obvious that he wasn't just passed out. Everyone was starring as they worked diligently to save his life. I was in shock. I just stood there and watched. I've never seen anything like that before. A man was dying as I watched and it broke my heart. All I could do was pray. Once I finally realized that I was starring, I decided to leave and come back later. Thankfully Dylan spent the day with a friend so he wasn't along for this horrible experience. 

Evan and I ran some other errands and then went back to Post Office. It was like nothing had ever happened. The ambulance was gone and business was happening as usual inside. I asked the postal worker if the man was alive when he was taken to the hospital and his answer was, "no." As I stood there, where a man died only 30 minutes earlier, I was sadden by how quickly life goes on. I couldn't help but think, "this is how we live all the time...ignorance is bliss, right?"

According to James 4:14, "life is but a puff of smoke that is visible for a little while and then disappears." That is really a great description of life. The man from the post office got up this morning and went about his day. He even went to mail a package just like me and the other 15 people standing there this morning. I'm sure he had no idea that today would be his last. He had no clue that he wouldn't celebrate Christmas with his family this year. I hope he had a relationship with our Redeemer. I pray his family hadn't left things unsaid or treated him with disrespect. They too had no way of knowing that they would loose their loved one today. 

Deep down we know life is short and fragile but we act as if we are invincible. We treat others as though they will always be there. Its so sad. What if we stopped living in blissful ignorance? What if we started intentionally remembering that God gives and takes away and we have no idea when He will take away? What if we made Him a priority and loved others the way He has commanded us to in the Bible? What if we lived and loved like there was no tomorrow?

Today I am thankful for the reminder that life is precious and fragile. At any moment my life could be over or I could lose someone close to me. If I keep that in mind it will affect how treat others, what I am focused on, and how I spend my time. I want to intentionally live in a way that brings glory to God. I want to leave nothing unsaid. I want to love like crazy. I want to be ready because life is but a puff of smoke.

Precious Redeemer, I pray for the family of the man in post office today. I pray for comfort and peace for them as they endure such a difficult time. I also pray for the rest of us, that we would remember that we are not in control, YOU are. Please help us to live as though You may bring us home at anytime. Please help us to love as You have commanded us to. Please help us to draw close to You and live in a way that pleases You. In Jesus Name, Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes