Carrying on the tradition....

Grandma Davis and Dylan making Moravian cookies last year
Every year since I was a little girl, I remember going to Grandma Davis' house during the Christmas season to make Moravian cookies. Once Dylan was old enough to help, I took him. He really enjoyed it.  So, this year, in memory of my Grandma, I decided to make her recipe. Ask anyone.....Grandma has the best Moravian cookie recipe! My mom helped watch the boys while I rolled, cut, and baked all day long. I knew the cookies would never be as good as Grandma's but I was able to use her rolling pin, board, special molasses and even her cookie cutters. I was very pleased with how they turned out. Dylan had so much fun helping me. Evan helped a little too but mostly, he just enjoyed eating one or two.

When I started making Grandma's cookies, I couldn't help but wonder if she was watching over me. A little while later, Dylan said, "Mommy, I bet Grandma Davis is so proud of us right now. She is with God and when people are with God, He lets them watch over us. I bet she is smiling at us."  It felt as if God used my sweet little guy to reassure me that Grandma is watching and is very proud of us. 

Today I am thankful for the memories I have of my Grandmother and the new memories I am making with my family. I haven't celebrated a Christmas yet that didn't involve Moravian cookies so, I guess I will carry on the tradition for our family. I am also grateful that I was able to share these cookies with the entire Davis family this evening at our Christmas celebration. My Papaw even said that I did a really good job! That meant a lot to me since he has tasted quite a few!



We've got all we need....Grandma's rolling pin, board, and cookie cutters

Me and Dylan rolling the dough

Me and little Evan using a cookie cutter. He ate some of the dough, of course


They don't look quite as good as Grandma's but I was pleased 

It makes tons of cookies

Me and my Mom making Grandma's famous cookies


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes