A Blue Christmas

Our little family attended the FOX8 Holiday Concert tonight. It was a nice event with the Greensboro symphony and Summit Figure Skaters performing. It was so sweet to hear Dylan singing along to the Christmas carols. This is the first year he has really picked up on the lyrics. His voice is precious. 

Close to the end of the concert an Elvis impersonator sang "A Blue Christmas." I was holding little Evan and rocking him as we listened to the song. I looked over at Dylan and then back at the little baby in my arms and my heart immediately broke for the families in Connecticut. It wasn't until that moment that the truth of the tragedy really "sunk in." For those families, they will be having a blue Christmas. The little ones that they've been wrapping Christmas presents for, are gone. Their families will never be the same. I sat in the coliseum tonight making memories with my family but my heart was breaking for those who no longer have that privilege.

I can't even express how much my heart aches for these families. I don't know why this tragedy happened but I do know that it proves how much we need to put our trust in God. In Him, there are no goodbyes. In Him, there is no end. Yes, this life ends in sometimes very tragic ways but if we place our trust, our whole lives, in the One who died to save us, death is only temporary. There has never been a better time to make sure we've placed our hope in the ONLY One who can save us. There is nothing more important.

Today I am grateful that I was able to spend time with my family, making Christmas memories. I am also thankful to have been able to hug them and kiss them goodnight. Mostly, I am overwhelmingly thankful that even if the worst happened, I know, without doubt, that I would see them again. 

Heavenly Father, my heart mourns for the families that have endured such tragedy today. I ask you to wrap your loving arms around them and allow them to feel Your presence. You know what it is like to lose your child. You understand their suffering. Please remind their hearts that You have overcome this world! In Jesus Name, Amen


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes