The Race...

I had a wonderful time at the Beautiful Life conference this weekend in Greensboro. I enjoyed spending time with friends, singing praises to our Father, and hearing Angela Thomas teach from the Bible. She did an outstanding job. My favorite story that she told was about a 5K. It is nearly impossible for me to retell the story with even half of the enthusiasm and spunk that Angela had but its a story worth retelling, so I'll try.

Angela's 8 and 10 year old sons decided they really wanted to run a 5K with their friends that lived in their neighborhood. Angela admitted that she knew very little about 5Ks and quickly agreed to their request when they asked for permission to run. So, with excitement, they practiced a little by running around the block. The day of the big race came and the boys stood at the starting line with all of their neighborhood friends. Angela cheered for her boys from the sidelines. When the starting gun fired, her boys took off with a lot of energy. Angela made her way over to the finish line and waited on her sons to finish the race. After about 20 minutes some of the very experienced runners began to cross the finish line. A little while later some of the neighborhood moms came running by. Some time went by and she saw her son's friends start to trickle in.  Finally, she saw her 10 year old son cross the finish line. She ran up to him and hugged him and told him how proud she was of him. Then she realized that the youngest boy wasn't with him. "Wait," she said, "where is your brother?" Her oldest boy didn't know where he was so he said, "I didn't realize I was supposed to keep up with him." Immediately her heart started to beat faster and faster. Where was he? She realized that almost everyone had crossed the finish line, except for her little boy. She suddenly realized how young 8 years old really was. She was mad at herself for not knowing more about a 5K and for letting her little boy run it all by himself. She was desperate to find him. She started to panic and everyone around her was concerned as well. Just when she was about to start running to find her boy, someone pointed out a figure in the horizon. As her eyes focused on the image, she realized it was her precious little boy. Everyone started screaming and shouting and cheering and clapping. Her son was slowly making his way to the finish line. The exhaustion was visible even from afar. Angela was crying and joyfully laughing. Everyone was cheering and shouting, "You can do it! You're almost here! Just keep running! We're so proud of you!" Angela ran to him as he crossed the finish line and swooped him up into her arms. He looked up at her and said, "Mommy, it was so much harder than I thought it would be. The last mile was all uphill." She looked down and said, "It's okay baby, you did it. You've made it to the finish line."



Angela told that story as she discussed the "race marked out for us" as described in Hebrews 12.  Our lives are much like that 5K.  There is a path marked out for each of us by the One who created us. Although its often much harder than we thought it would be and a lot of times it seems like its all uphill, we are making our way to the finish line. According to Hebrews 12, there are a cloud of witnesses watching as we make our way. Like Angela, I believe when we appear on the horizon, we will see them cheering and shouting and clapping and saying, "You can do it. You're almost here! Just keep running! Keep your eyes on your Prize! We are so very proud of you!"  And Jesus will run to us and swoop us up into His arms and say, "Its okay, beloved, you've made it Home."

My heart rejoices at that story because of the mental picture it gives me. When life is hard, when its all uphill, when we just don't have the energy to go on, that mental picture will be such an encouragement. Today I am thankful that I can be sure that this path has been marked out by the One I am running towards. He is my Prize. I am thankful that He is with me the whole way. He is encouraging to me to RUN--not to piddle around and waste my time but to RUN straight to Him, allowing His love and light to shine through me the whole way. And when I see the finish line, those who have gone before me will cheer for me and encourage me as I step across. And then, my Jesus will swoop me up. He will hold me in His arms and wipe my tears away. He will welcome me home. Hallelujah! Suddenly this race seems so worthwhile, even when it isn't easy. I am so thankful for this race, for the blessings along the way, for the encouragement from my fellow racers, and for the finish line that waits for me. 

Comments

  1. Yes! I took home an image from the weekend as well... the "Easy Granny Trail" - oh how I often wish my concept of "Granny Trail" lined up with the one He gave me, lol. But nevertheless, He has continually shown me that my trail is the one He has called me to walk (or should I say "run with endurance"!). His hand of grace is all over it, despite how my flesh sees it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave an encouraging message

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes