Perseverance

Do you ever wonder if you're aimlessly running toward a moving target? I feel that way sometimes. Today was one of those days. For no particular reason, I started wondering if I was even running on the right course. I found myself asking God to reconfirm the path I'm on, to once again remind me that even though things aren't happening on my timeline, He has me right where he wants me. And of course, He did....

I read a story today about William Carey, he was cobbler by trade in the 1700's and was eventually called to India to spread the Gospel. This calling was not easy on his family. In the first few years of his journey, disease claimed the life of one of his sons which led to his wife losing her mind and eventually her life. She left Carey with 2 children to raise. Alone and grieving, he pushed on because he felt God's call on his life. He tried preaching in India but it just wasn't for him. He eventually figured out that his true calling was behind a printing press instead of a pulpit. He worked until the Bible was translated in 6 Indian languages and portions of it translated in 29 other languages. At one point the building that housed his printing press was engulfed by flames, with his precious work inside. Carey started over. Its said that he became the devil's nightmare. When Satan knocked him down, this man of faith got right back up, more determined than ever. India benefited by Carey's perseverance in many academic and evangelical ways but he also fought for godly humanitarianism, and won. During this time period, women and infants were often burned alive in India as offerings to gods. Carey fought against these barbaric acts and the Carey Edict was eventually enforced, which made these acts a crime. He may have lost his son and wife along this journey but he saved countless other wives and children. Carey was willing to do whatever it took to follow God. He lost almost everything. Most of us would have probably given up or convinced ourselves that we had misunderstood God. Not Carey. He refused to disbelieve. He refused to give up. He marked an entire nation and numerous others with his translations of the Bible. His most famous principle of action: "Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God."

 If William Carey was able to endure the loss of his child and his wife and still persevere, so can I! If he was able to watch all of his hard work go up in flames and just start over and keep going with God, so can I! Things don't always happen when I want them to happen but that doesn't mean I should give up or question whether or not I misunderstood God. He has me right where He wants me. I just need to keep expecting great things from Him and attempting great things for Him. As Beth Moore says, "we must persevere in our commitment to Christ, not in our commitment to our commitment."

Today, I am grateful for testimonies like William Carey's. Hearing stories like this one reminds me of how awesome God is. He can use anyone and anything. He can use one man to bless an entire nation. Although following wholeheartedly after God isn't always easy, it is always worthwhile. I'm also thankful that I stumbled across this story today, when I really needed to hear it. We all have testimonies and we should share them. You never know, your story might be the one God uses to reconfirm some one's choice to follow hard after Him.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes