She would be so proud....

I found out this morning that my Grandma Doris passed away late last night. I've been thinking a lot about her today and as I talked with my mom, she told me something I never knew. Apparently Grandma Doris was beside herself with excitement when my mom found out that she was having a little girl. Until I was born, she only had grandsons. She was so excited about having a little girl in the family! She just had to buy lots of girly dresses and hair bows for her only granddaughter. She always let me wear her jewelry and walk around in her high heels. I remember sitting beside her as she played the organ and we sang "He's got the whole world in His hands." I also remember her yummy sausage and gravy biscuits and shepherd's pie. Most of all, I remember her painting my fingernails, fixing my hair and letting me wear her lipstick. 

Earlier today I got my hair cut and colored (no more roots!! Thanks April!), I am about to paint my fingernails bright red, and I will be sure to wear lipstick and jewelry for the next few days in honor of my Grandma. She would be so proud of me! She was a lady who loved her nail polish, make-up and jewelry! 



Today I am thankful for these memories of my Grandmother. I am also thankful that my birth (as her only granddaughter) brought such joy to her life. I never realized that. Just knowing that my life was a blessing to her is so special to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes