Would you be willing to use your tongue?

During our Wednesday evening church service I heard an incredible story. It is about a man in Kansas city that was injured in an explosion. He was badly disfigured and lost his eye eyesight and both of his hands in the accident. Before the explosion he had recently put his faith in Jesus Christ. He had begun reading the Bible and was very excited about his new faith. After the accident, one of his greatest disappointments was his inability to read God's Word. He couldn't read it with his eyes or his hands. During this time he heard of a woman in England that learned to read Braille with her lips. He immediately decided to do the same but much to his dismay, he discovered that the nerve endings in his lips were too damaged to accurately feel the Braille. One day while trying to feel the Braille with his lips, his tongue quickly brushed by the raised characters and he could feel them! He decided to set his mind to reading the Bible with his tongue! He has currently read through the Bible four times, using his tongue.

Wow. Most of us have two perfectly good eyes and hands. We most likely have a Bible laying right next to our bed or on a shelf in our living room and yet we don't make time to read it. God has given us His Word and only 18% of Christians read it regularly. Its sad isn't it? Honestly, I do try to make time to read God's Word daily but it can be a struggle at times. It is for most people, I think. We are all so busy with kids, work, relationships, to-do lists, etc. Why is it that we put everything before the most important thing? 

Let me ask you a question: 
If you had to, would you be willing to read God's Word with your tongue? 

Today I am thankful for God's Word. I know I've said it a million times before but it truly is alive and active and pertinent to any situation. The Bible has become my go-to book for any situation, its an amazing story, and one of my favorite ways to hear from my Lord. How awesome is it that God was willing to go to so much trouble to make sure that we could know Him? I am also grateful for this amazing story. I need to remember this story in the days to come, when the little things of life start to take the place of the biggest thing. I need to remember that I have everything I need to read God's Word and it would be heartbreaking for me to pass up that opportunity. I mean, its a book worth learning to read with your tongue. If its that valuable, we should be reading it all the time!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes