Science Camp!

Dylan got to experience something really awesome for the first time today. Today was his first day of Science Camp! He has been super excited for weeks about going to camp. On the way there today he kept saying,"come on, come on, I'm so ready to get to camp!" I have to admit, I wasn't quite as excited as he was. This is the first time I've left my big boy anywhere alone other than church or with his grandparents. Thankfully, this camp is only a few hours a day for a week. I don't think I could handle taking him to an overnight camp or even leaving him at school, for that matter. Leaving him at camp definitely helps me to appreciate homeschooling even more!

We recently joined a homeschool group called High Point Home Educators. This is an awesome network of homeschool families that provide all types of learning opportunities for homeschool students. They also have field day, talent shows, field trips, and sports for homeschool kids. The best part of this group...its all based on Christian values. Christ is at the center of every activity!  I heard about Science Camp through some of the members of HPHE. This camp is affordable and fun for kids of all ages. The theme for the week is "Its a small world after all." The kids are learning about the virtually unseen and very minute world that is all around us. Today Dylan learned how to use a microscope and a magnifying glass. He said the teacher taught him how to catch a leaf on fire with the magnifying glass. She sounds like a cool teacher, huh? The campers also got to pick different things to put under the microscope to see what they look like up close. Dylan chose hot cocoa. He said none of the kids could guess what it was. He was so proud to be able to reveal the mystery to his new friends!

This is the only picture I could get as I had walked out
of camp. Dylan was already busy with this group!
Today I am thankful for Science Camp! Dylan has been looking forward to this for a while. He could barely contain his excitement today. He had a wonderful time and is ready to go back tomorrow. I am also thankful that Dylan is not lacking in social skills even though everyone seems to think that homeschooled children aren't "socialized" enough. Even though he has been home with me most of his life and is homeschooled, Dylan is a social butterfly (his brother is too!) Still, I was a little worried about leaving him at camp for the first time but he just smiled and waved and got right to work on a puzzle his group was doing. He was also eager to tell me that he made some new friends today. It just warms my heart to see Dylan so thrilled to learn about God's world and make new friends! I think I love Science Camp as much as he does!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes