My Two Dads

When I was little I was a Daddy's girl! There was no doubt about it! As long as my Daddy was around, I was happy. My mom tells me that she used to pick out my clothes for the week and my Daddy would pretend he was the one that picked them out so that I wouldn't pitch a fit. My Daddy hung the moon in my opinion! I would do anything for my Daddy!

When I was about 9 years old my parents got divorced after several really rough years. This was really hard on this Daddy's girl. Some other situations arose and I didn't get to see my Daddy for a few years. I think God knew that my little heart couldn't be without a Daddy so, in His wisdom, He provided an amazing step-father. My mom was so worried that I wouldn't accept another man in her life but I was just the opposite. In fact, I asked him to marry my mom! Just when I needed a father figure in my life, Larry came to the rescue. I know many people have a lot of issue with their step-parents, but not me. I don't think I could have had a better relationship with my step-dad. The thing that amazes me most about my step-dad is his willingness to love my brother and me, even though he didn't have to. He was our biggest advocate, our best friend, and a very strong influence in our lives. He isn't our biological father but you would never know it!

Divorce can be incredibly difficult on everyone involved, especially children. While I'm not happy that my parents got divorced when I was young, I do see how God has blessed me and my family through it. Like Genesis 50:20 says, what was intended for evil, God used for good! Honestly, I made out pretty good. I had a wonderful Daddy in my younger years and an amazing step-dad in my teenage through college years. And now, now I have a terrific relationship with both of them. To symbolize how much they both mean to me, I did something very different at my wedding. When it was time to walk down the aisle, my Daddy walked me half of the way and then handed me over to Larry, who walked me the rest of the way and presented me to Bryan. The best part about it is that both of my dads truly appreciate who the other dad has been for me, in my journey. I wouldn't be the person I am today without BOTH of my dads.

Now, as a mother of 2 adorable boys, I get the privilege of watching my husband be a Daddy. As I watch him grow as a father, I have more appreciation for my two dads. Maybe God knew my brother and me would be too much for 1 dad to handle! Haha! I'm not sure why things had to happen the way they did but I am eternally grateful for both of these men. Not only have I had two wonderful dads but my children get to enjoy them both as grandfathers. When I look back over my childhood, my teenage years, my college years, and even adulthood, I can see how God used my two dads in my life. I am abundantly thankful!

Me and my dad. I was about 3 years old here.
Larry and Me at my College Graduation
My dad and me on our trip to Charleston to take my  Bridal Portraits
Me and Larry dancing at my wedding
My dad (aka "Popsy") with my sweet boys
Larry (aka "Papa") with Dylan, Evan and my Mom

Thank you, God, for blessing me with TWO dads!
 

Comments

  1. What an absolute wonderful post, Tory!!! Blessings come in all forms and ways!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave an encouraging message

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes