To the Altar of God

I've been listening to a song for the past couple days called "The Altar of God." This song by Josh Bates tells of someone who is downcast and disturbed but they put their hope in God and they go to the altar of God. At the altar this person asks God to send His light and His truth to guide them and bring them through their difficult time. While listening to this song I was reminded of the story in the Bible of David and the Ark of the Covenant.

The ark was the manifestation of God's physical presence on Earth. It was a precious symbol for God's people and God had very specific instructions for building and moving the ark. Before David's reign, the ark had been left at Kirjath jearim. While Saul was King, no one inquired of God through the Ark, as was custom during that day. David did not want to repeat that mistake. David desperately wanted to bring the ark close to him and his people. So, he and several others went to get the ark. David had the best of intentions but because he did not consult God's word, something terrible happened. Uzzah, one of the men carrying the ark, reached out to keep the ark from falling when an oxen stumbled. When he touched the ark he immediately fell to the ground and died.  David was so afraid and bothered that he took the ark to the house of Obed-edom and left it there for 3 months. After hearing house the household of Obed-edom had been blessed, he decided to try again but this time he consulted God's word and followed the guidelines God had given. This time David was able to bring the ark to his people and he danced before the Lord with joy.

That story amazes me. David, a man after God's own heart, desired to have the ark close to him so he rushed to get the ark and accidentally caused the death of a friend because he didn't follow the rules. Today, because of what Jesus has done for us, we can rush to the altar of God any time we want to. We can cry out to our Lord and be in His presence every second of every day. David had strict guidelines and rules to follow but we have absolutely no rules! Jesus threw that rule book in the garbage and He says come....come to the altar, come to Me, I will comfort you and guide you.

Today I am thankful that I can go to the Altar of God any time I want to. At four o'clock in the morning when I can't sleep because of back pain, I can go to the altar. When my feelings are hurt and no one understands, I can go to the altar. When I am overflowing with gladness, I can sing praises at the altar. That is such an amazing thing! I am so glad there isn't a list of rules to follow. Jesus made a way so that you and I both can freely go to the altar of God. Let's do it...continually!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes