Fearfully and wonderfully made

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139: 14-16


Last night, at about 2:17am, I woke to the sound of laughter coming from the baby monitor. I went into Evan's bedroom and peeked over his crib to see the biggest smile on his face. I wanted to be annoyed because I had to get up in the middle of the night but when I saw his sweet smile I was filled with joy (even though it was 2:17am). 

As I was rocking him and watching his little eyes flutter, Psalm 139: 14-16 entered my mind. I thought about how just a few months ago this precious boy was in my womb. God created him and gave him life within me. He was fearfully and wonderfully made. When he was born he was only 6 pounds 10 oz and so fragile and stationary. Now, 5 and 1/2 months later, he is 17 pounds 8 ounces and an absolute wiggle worm! He is sitting up with a little help and about to crawl any day now. It is so amazing how fast he has grown! Then, of course, I started to think about how big Dylan is these days. He is almost 4 years old and so independent. He is 40 inches tall and over 30 pounds. He can write his entire name without any help and reads about 15 words. In just a few short years, he has become a young man. Then I realized, I have two little miracles living inside my house (5 really, if you count Bryan, myself, and the dog, Mitch). Miracles because only God could create such amazing creatures and give them the ability to change so much, so quickly.  Only God can breathe life into each of us and know us each intimately. 

Today I am so incredibly thankful for the gift of children. God has blessed me with two amazing little miracles. They are healthy and happy, smart and funny. They are such wonderful blessings. There are times when I take them for granted or get easily frustrated with them but as I watched my adorable baby sleep in my arms last night, I realized that I didn't want to put him down. He is such a gift to me, even in the middle of the night. I hope I always remember that “Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.” Psalm 127:3. 


What a blessing to be Evan and Dylan's Mommy! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes