A Bride and her Groom

Song of Solomon is a poetic book of the Bible that tells a beautiful love story. I've read the book before but I don't believe I've ever truly understood it. Today we had a guest speaker at church that taught from Song of Solomon, chapter 2. This chapter tells of a bride and her groom on their wedding day. They are head over heels in love with one another. We read first about the bride who is described as young, wild, and common like  the flower, a Rose of Sharon. She has stood firm in her purity and is overwhelmed with love for her groom. Secondly, we read about the groom. He is compared to an apple tree which speaks of his attractive nature and the protection he offers, like the outstretched branches of a tree. He is calm and gentle like a shepherd. He approaches his bride tenderly, regardless of his incredible strength. He is smitten with his bride and only has eyes for her. 

That sounds like the beginning of a wonderful story of love between man and woman, doesn't it? Well, I guess it is in the literal sense but Solomon was a very poetic writer who often wrote with more than one meaning in mind. Chapter 2 truly refers to Christ and His bride, the church. We, the church, are young, wild, and common. We are made pure by the blood of Christ and we love our Groom. Jesus loves the wild and common things about His church. He is better than any apple tree, He gives fruit, shelter and protection. He tenderly approaches us and pursues us. His strength is unimaginable and He is smitten with us.

Verse 15 says "Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes." The foxes in this verse refer to the things of the world that distract the bride and groom from each other. The lovers are crying out for protection against anything that might ruin their vineyard, or their union. Solomon is encouraging the church to identify the "foxes" and remove them so that the union between the church and Christ will not be ruined. 

I'm so glad that our speaker was able to translate this chapter for us because I would have never figured out what any of that poetry actually meant. It is beautiful though, isn't it!? Our Groom is smitten with us. He tenderly approaches and pursues us. He protects us and makes us pure. We are His bride. I think that is such an amazing thought! I also love the warning that Solomon gives us, as the church. There are so many things in this world that distract us and put a wedge in the union between us and Christ. We really need to idenitify and remove those "foxes" so that we can stay truly focused on our Groom.

Today I am thankful for the book, Song of Solomon. It tells of a beautiful love story that on the surface seems like the union between a man and a woman. Truthfully, however, the union of humans pales in comparison to the union between Christ and His church. I am so grateful to be a part of the Bride of Christ! I am just blown away by that thought! I must say, I am also thankful that chapter 2 was translated for me today. I am now very intrigued by this mysterious book of the Bible. I want to read more about this magnificent love story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes