Created for a Purpose

This week in our Kindergarten Curriculum, Evan and I were talking about living and growing in Jesus. One of the activities involved picking lots of different leaves outside. sorting and comparing them, and then doing a rubbing of each leaf. Evan loved doing this together! He had a great time! One thing he noticed right away is that all of the leaves are different. Each and every bush, tree, and plant has a different leaf. Some were big, some were small, some with straight edges, some with zigzag edges, some dark green, some yellow and green. We discussed why God didn't make them all the same and how different each plant is. Some bear fruit, some bear vegetables, some bear flowers. If they were all just the same, they wouldn't be able to do what God intended them to do. Some need more sunlight than others. Some need more water than others. What they need is determined by the plan God has for the plant's life. 

We also discussed how God made people different. The way we look, what we need, the story of our life is all determined because God knows who He created us to be. Evan totally "got it." He immediately said, "Right, Dylan and Tyson and me aren't exactly the same because God has different plans for our lives and Mommy, you're the only girl in our family so God definitely has a different plan for you!" Hahaha. He's such a sweetie!

Inspecting his leaves, thoroughly
Evan's Leaf  Rubbings

After we finished school I checked the mail and found this belated birthday card from Bryan's grandmother.  You might not be able to read it in the small picture but it says, "Even with all the wonders He put into the world, God did some of His best work when He created you." And then she wrote, "There is no one like you. You are the best, sweetest, kindest, granddaughter. I love you." This is so sweet because I'm not really her granddaughter! I love her though and I often call and check on her and take the boys to visit her. This card touched my heart in such a special way. Not only because of her kind words but also because I know God was using this card to remind me that He made me just the way I am, for a reason, just as Evan and I learned. I struggle with self-doubt and a low self-esteem but God is continuously showing me that I am valuable and beautiful just the way I am.



After receiving this thoughtful card, I saw this quote someone had posted on Facebook:

I'd rather make an impact on your heart than your eyes.

Wow, that's what God has been showing me, it just takes a WHOLE lot for me to truly grasp things! It doesn't matter what I look like or how someone judges me, or that I haven't lost the baby weight from my third child, or if I don't measure up to some other mom. What matters is the purpose He has for me. That purpose is to love others and encourage those around me. He made me to make an impact on others, for His glory!
"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." 
John 13:35

Today I am grateful that our God took the time to create each one of us with a purpose and plan. He didn't design us so that we would be preoccupied with our outward appearance. He doesn't want us to compare ourselves to one another or waste our time worrying over whose house is the cleanest or who has the best marriage. He wants us to spend our time making an impact on those around us instead of focusing on ourselves. I am also thankful God faithfully teaches me His truth, over and over again. Through my child's Kindergarten lesson. Through my husband's grandmother.  Through a post on Facebook. He'll use whatever He needs to, to get my attention. He is a good, good Father! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes