Preparation for His presence....

Yesterday I spent entire day at the hospital with my mom. We were there because my Pawpaw Davis had a massive stroke. It took hours to truly find out the effects of the stroke but by the time we came home last night, we knew that the damage had been devastating. After being transferred from hospital to hospital and having several tests done, we were told that Pawpaw would never be able to talk or walk again. He would always have to have a ventilator and a feeding tube. The doctors weren't sure if he would live a day or 5 years. I just kept thinking how much he would hate living that way. The thought of him laying there, suffering, just broke my heart.



Last night, as Bryan and I were praying about my Pawpaw, Bryan said something that really touched me. He said, "please comfort him and us as You prepare Pawpaw Davis to be in Your presence." We often wonder why God doesn't just take people immediately. Why does He allow them hold onto life in such a painful way?  Why doesn't he just wisp us all away in our sleep? When Bryan prayed that prayer last night, I couldn't help but wonder, maybe God uses those final moments to prepare us for His presence. Maybe some folks only need a moment to get ready for the wonder and awe they're about to embrace. Others may need a few hours or days or even weeks to encounter the Living God. He made us all different, so maybe He knows how much preparation we need before meeting Him. When I went to sleep last night, my prayer was that God would prepare Pawpaw quickly so that He could see Him soon.


We now know that Pawpaw will only live a few more days. The stroke caused a huge bleed on his brain that hasn't stopped. Although it is a horrific diagnosis, he is resting peacefully in the ICU. Its actually an answer to prayer. His preparation isn't going to take very long. Pretty soon he will be walking on streets of gold with His lovely bride who went home a year and a half before him.


Today I am thankful that I was able to spend the day with my mom at the hospital. Bryan has been blessed with a work-from-home job and wonderful coworkers that are very understanding of family matters. It is such a blessing to be able be there for my family when they need me. Thank you Bryan, for being so willing to let me go. I am also thankful that even though my Pawpaw won't be around much longer, this isn't the end. I will see him again. And thankfully, his preparation for the Lord's presence won't be much longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes