Attachment...

We went to a family reunion/Christmas party tonight that was held at my late Pawpaw's church. We enjoyed lots of yummy food and fellowship. The kids had a blast playing together. At the beginning of the night Evan found 5 or 6 little Bibles. He began carrying them around, "reading" them, and passing them out to family members. I put them back where they belonged while we ate dinner and I thought he had forgotten about them. As soon as Evan finished eating and climbed out of his seat, he came running back with those Bibles! 


He carried those Bibles around for the rest of the evening. He was asking everyone to read the Bible to him and even standing at the pulpit with his Bible like he was preaching! He knelt at the altar with the Bible and even laid down with the Bibles. As I watched him, Deuteronomy 6: 4-7 came to mind. It says: 

"Israel, listen to me. The Lord is our God. The Lord is the one and only God.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your strength. The commandments I give you today must be in your hearts.  Make sure your children learn them. Talk about them when you are at home. Talk about them when you walk along the road. Speak about them when you go to bed. And speak about them when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:4-7

Walking with the Word
Preaching the Word
Praying the Word
Sharing the Word with others
Resting in the Word

Evan's attachment to the Bible this evening is a picture of how we should all be in real life. We should be reading the Bible and be genuinely attached to it. We should be talking about it when we're at home, when we're walking around and even when we lay down. The Lord's words should be on our lips and in our minds at all times. We should be carrying God's word within us, just as Evan was carrying those little Bibles. 

As 2013 comes to an end and we begin a new year, I want to replicate Evan's attachment to the Bible in my own life. I want to keep God's Word in my heart and on my lips at all times. Today I am thankful for such an adorable reminder of how much we should love God's Word and how it can and should impact our lives. I am also thankful that my littlest guy is learning that the Bible is a special book and that Jesus loves him. My prayer is that he will always be so attached to his Bible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes