Getting Stronger!



I saw the above picture this afternoon and I smiled from ear to ear because that is soooo true for me today! I recently started doing a new exercise program and trying to make better eating choices and just, overall, trying to take better care of myself. This morning I got up bright and early to do PiYo (the exercise program) and as I was doing a crouching push up, (yes, that is really what it's called) I realized, "Oh My Goodness! There is no way I could have done that a few weeks ago!" I'm not saying it looked pretty but I did it!!!!!!

PiYo focuses on core strength and muscle flexiblity which is exactly what my body needs because of my back problems. Its been 6 years since I've truly stretched and really tried to strengthen my body. When I got injured, a fear of pain began take root in my heart and I started being very, very careful with my movements. I stopped doing anything that hurt. While it is healthy to be careful, not moving hardly at all can cause all sorts of problems because muscle strength fades quickly and then muscle tension increases. My coach, Kristin, suggested PiYo and I was excited to try it, thinking that maybe it would be helpful for me after a while. Well, I've been doing this program (slightly modified for my injury) for a little over 2 weeks and I can already tell an enormous difference in my strength and flexibilty! That is HUGE for me because I've been told by doctors that I should never lift anything or bend or squat. Well,  now I can do a modified plank and a downward dog and even "the beast." The best part, I have had to take significantly less pain medicine this week!!! The exercise program isn't easy but it's worth every second. I'm getting stronger which is benefiting my body in so many ways!!!!

Today I am thankful for PiYo. I was hoping this exercise program might help  me  get skinner or give me a six pack and yada yada yada but I would have never imagined that it would reduce my pain and give me strength to do things that I was supposed to never be able to do! This is incredible for me, someone who has lived in constant pain for 6 years and has been told that it could never change. I'm not saying that I'm pain-free now....that's not true at all. BUT, I notice a huge difference!  I'll take it!! I am also grateful that my God has been prompting my heart lately, to take better care of myself. He has been helping me to realize that I'm worth the effort it would take to be healthy and strong again. Because of His promoting, I have started down this road and I am already so excited about feeling better and moving more. I had bascially decided there was no point in hoping that I may one day be able to do ballet again or ride a bike with my sons. I mean, its seemed crazy to even dream of being healed. My God has given me a reason to hope again, for freedom from my pain, at least partially. He has given me reason to believe that I could be the active, engaged mom I want to be. Thank you Father, for pointing me in this direction! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes