A Public Declaration!

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" Matthew 28:18-20

The Bible commands that believers in Jesus Christ be baptized. Not as a way into Heaven, but as an expression of our faith. I believe that baptism is one of the most important acts of obedience in the Christian walk. This pubic declaration of faith is a confession of our belief in Jesus and also a picture of that belief. In baptism we are buried with Jesus in death and raised with Jesus in newness of life!

Many families baptize their babies. Some of those babies are immersed under water and many have water sprinkled on their heads. While there is no harm in this form of baptism, it is not an expression of the child's faith, it is an expression of his or her parent's faith. So, like me, many who were sprinkled as a baby decide later on in life to be obedient in Believer's Baptism to make a declaration of our own personal faith in Jesus!

Today, I got to witness my mother make that same public declaration. It was absolutely beautiful. She was sprinkled as a child but knew that it was time, no matter what her age, to joyfully act in obedience to the command to be baptized by immersion. What a sweet blessing for her grandchildren to see her walk in obedience! 



Today I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to see my mother get baptized! It was such a sweet moment. Tears just flowed as I watched her be immersed in the same baptistery that I was baptized in 17 years ago. I am also grateful for her willingness to obey regardless of her age. I believe this makes such a bold impact on her grandsons, whether they know it now or not. We are never too young or too old to proudly follow Jesus!

I am so proud of my Momma! This was such a beautiful day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes