Our first day of First Grade!


Today was Dylan's first day of First Grade! It was a very exciting day in our home! I have to say, I love that my child is so eager to start school. I'll admit, I was excited too. I taught First Grade for one year and actually really liked it so I'm thrilled to teach it again, this time with my son! Since homeschool doesn't have a strict schedule, we took our time eating breakfast and I had my quiet time before we got started with school work. I didn't have to tell Dylan twice. As soon as I said, "we're ready," he was at the kitchen table, ready to learn. The only problem was, Evan was ready too! Thankfully, I was able to get Evan interested in a movie for a few minutes and then later he colored at the table with us. In between playing and singing and climbing, he kept saying, "its cool time, its cool time" which is "its school time" in Evanese. Since it was our first day, Dylan and I spent some time getting acquainted with our new curriculum, doing some review, playing with a bucket of math manipulatives, and reading books together. And just for fun, we had to do a Science experiment! I think our first day went very well. Dylan cannot wait to for school tomorrow!

Today was also Dylan's first day of LIFE classes. These classes are organized by High Point Home Educators and are held every Monday afternoon at a nearby church. He is taking Wordsmiths and K-2 Physical Education. I'm not going to lie, it was hard for me to leave my big boy at his classes today. One of the perks of homeschool is that I don't have to drop my kids off at school every day. I am, however, very excited about these classes. Not only will Dylan learn lots of fun and exciting things, he will also get to meet a lot of new friends that are also homeschooled. When I dropped him off he was a little nervous but I peeked back in the window a few minutes later and he was enjoying himself! When I picked him up after his second class he was super excited. He couldn't talk fast enough. He absolutely loved his classes!

My Big First Grader!
Dylan wanted to take a picture of his first grade teacher too!
Evan stayed somewhat occupied. He is watching a "Numbers" video.
Reading a book together and having a snack.
Here is the science/art experiment.....
Together they make green.
Ready for LIFE classes
He's such a big boy now!
He was so excited!

Today I am thankful for the opportunity to homeschool Dylan during his first grade year. I am still amazed that we are actually doing this. I never, ever thought I would be a homeschooling mom but this was what God wanted for our family and He is making it happen! I am incredibly grateful that He is in control and paving the way for our family! I am also thankful that Dylan gets to be involved in the LIFE classes. They will be a great addition to what we are learning at home!

Father God, thank You for leading us down the homeschooling path. Thank You for providing all that we need and allowing us to enjoy this time together. Please bless Dylan's first grade year. Help me, please Lord, to be the teacher he needs and deserves. Please teach him through me. Please allow him to enjoy his LIFE classes and learn all that he can from them. May this year of homeschool be one that helps Dylan grow in his faith and helps to provide him with a firm foundation for the years to come. In Jesus Name, Amen


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes