Nuggets of Wisdom

Bryan's Grandmother, Nana Shaw, came over this afternoon so that I could teach her how to crochet a necklace. She taught me to knit several months ago so I was excited to return the favor. I really enjoyed the conversation we shared. Since both of my grandmothers have passed away, I savor these opportunities to talk with an older, wiser lady. As I listened to Nana Shaw talk, I took a few mental notes. She has many words of wisdom and pieces of advice. Here are a few of the nuggets of wisdom that I hope to never forget. 

As we were working on the necklaces, Dylan was nearby playing. He was making all sorts of sounds. He was whooshing, swiiiishing, muahing, and hisssing. I hear those noises all the time. I guess I just sort of tune them out. Nana looked over at me, smiled and said, "Enjoy those little noises while you can." As soon as she said those words I realized that I have totally taken those sweet sounds for granted.  I will miss those sounds when my boys grow up and the house is quiet! She's right, I need to enjoy listening to my children play. One day I will wish I could go back in time and hear it again.

A few minutes later Nana Shaw was telling me about her morning. She nonchalantly said, "I sat on my swing and talked with the Lord."  Because of the way she said it, I knew without doubt, this is a regular occurrence for her. As I mature as a mother and a wife, as life goes on, as I get older,  I hope I will always take time to talk with my Lord. Regardless of my stage of life, there is nothing more important.

Right before Nana was about to leave, she was telling me something and I said, "I can't believe that!" Nana replied with, "Oh, honey, just decide to believe anything." I never heard that before but its really good advice. I would spare myself a lot of worry and frustration if I just decided that anything is believable. Instead of being shocked by people's behavior or hurt by the things that happen around me, its better to believe anything is possible and just deal with it appropriately.  

Today I am thankful for my time with Nana Shaw. I enjoyed talking with her and making necklaces together. The next time I meet with her, or any other older, wiser lady, I'm going to make sure to have a notepad nearby! I am also thankful for the nuggets of wisdom Nana shared with me. Titus 2:3-5 says that older women should mentor younger women. I feel honored to have been a part of that type of mentoring today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes