Faith Like Abraham's

"What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness" Romans 4:3

I've been doing Beth Moore's Bible Study, "Believing God" for the past 5 weeks. It's an outstanding study that I would definitely recommend to others. We have recently been studying some of the great Biblical characters such as Noah, Moses, and Abraham. These were all men who lived faith-filled lives and the way they lived was proof of their faith. I think my favorite of these stories is the story of Abraham and Sarah.

Can you imagine being told that you would become a parent at the age of 100? Most of us would probably look right at God and laugh. In fact, I think Sarah did laugh when she heard the news but not Abraham. No, Abraham believed. Regardless of how ridiculous it seemed or how impossible it was physically. Abraham believed that he and his 90 year old wife would conceive and give birth to a child. Guess what? God came through, just like He always does. It might not have been on their timeline but nevertheless, He gave Sarah and Abraham a son. I love what Romans 4: 19-24 says about this man of faith...

 "Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead —since he was about a hundred years old —and that Sarah’s womb was also dead.  Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.  This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.”  The words “it was credited to him” were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead."

Abraham was fully persuaded that God had the power to do what He said He would do and that faith was credited to him as righteousness. Being righteous is to live a life that is pleasing to God. I don't know about you but I don't always live a life that is pleasing to God. I wish I did but I often fail miserably. I don't think I am ever considered righteous on my own but according to Romans 4, righteousness can be credited to me too! Having continual faith in God, a faith that is unwavering, a faith that affects every choice I make, every word I say and the way I live my life...that kind of faith is credited to me as righteousness. 

Today I am thankful that having real, unwavering faith in my God is so worthwhile. He is who He says He is and He will do what He says He will do. And even if He didn't come through, the faith I have in Him is credited to me as righteousness, even me, a person who has lived a life of unrighteousness. Whatever happens, believing my God and trusting Him completely is the best choice for me all around.

Sometimes things seem utterly impossible. Sometimes we get blinded by the so-called "wisdom" of doctors, lawyers, employers, or even loved ones but they DO NOT have the final say. It is worthwhile for us to be fully persuaded that God has the power to intervene in our situation. It is worthwhile to believe! Even if God doesn't come through in the way we're hoping for, the strong faith we have in Him is credited to us as righteousness. We can't go wrong with faith like Abraham's!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes