?Happy? Memorial Day


My little family loves days when we can all just be together. Memorial Day is one of those days! We spent the morning fishing at Oak Hollow Lake. It was Evan's first time fishing and he really enjoyed it, for a few minutes at least. (It's hard for a 3 year old to wait on the fish to bite!) We spent the afternoon shopping at the mall and eating dinner together at burger joint. It was a fun, relaxing day spent with the ones we love. 

I've been thinking a lot about Memorial Day today and although we had a "Happy" Memorial Day spent with the ones we love, I've realized that there are many who suffer through this day in an entirely different way. There are many who do not see this day as"happy" at all. 

Yesterday at the end of our church service I witnessed a solider make his way to the altar, kneel down, and place his hand on the boots that were set up as a Memorial Day display. He was almost shaking as he prayed. I can only assume that this solider was mourning the friends he has lost through out his time serving our country. My heart broke for him because this day means something entirely different for him. This day isn't about hotdogs and parades for him. It isn't about picnics or going to the lake. No, this day isn't happy for him because he is remembering someone that is not with him today, someone that willingly gave their life so that we might enjoy the fireworks, hotdogs, and boat rides. 


I also came across the above picture earlier today and it broke my heart. This little girl and her mommy expected that after a few months at war, her daddy would come home. BUT he didn't. Now they have to carry on without him. They will always spend this day remembering him and wishing he could be here to see how his daughter has grown, to share in birthday parties, and give bedtime hugs. My heart aches for this little family and honestly, makes me a little embarrassed of my relaxed day of "celebration."  

Today I am thankful or the reminder of what Memorial Day really is. Our culture has made it about apple pie and swimming pools. We get to enjoy those things freely because of the lives that were given....which is what this day is truly about. I am also grateful for the men and women who have given their lives for my freedom. But I can't forget to mention their friends and families because I am grateful for their sacrifice as well. This little girl will never know her dad, this Mommy will raise her daughter alone, and many soldiers will never be the same because they were the survivors and their buddies weren't.  I think we often look past the hard of this day. It isn't a happy day of celebration. It is a time of remembrance and gratitude. We should teach our kids what its really about so they won't take for granted all the lives that have been lost so that we might enjoy the picnics and fireworks!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes