A Different Kind of Mother's Day

As I woke up this morning I felt a sadness that I've never felt on Mother's Day before. For the first time ever, I truly understand why Mother's Day can be so painful. There are so many people that are hurting today. A family that we go to church with lost their son last night. Another young couple gave birth to a son early this morning who had already gone home to be with his Heavenly Father. I know of another family with 4 young children who recently lost their mother to breast cancer. And, I've realized over the past year that some relationships end without death. Sometimes, relationships have to end because they are abusive. In all of those cases, Mother's Day can be very painful.

 I've  been thinking a lot today about how life is so different for everyone. Its easy for us to become complacent in our own little worlds and we start to assume that everyone's life is basically like ours. We assume everyone enjoys celebrating Mother's Day and Father's Day. We assume everyone deals with the same ups and downs that we deal with. We assume that there are no silent, secret battles that folks are fighting. I could go on and on. Sadly, those assumptions just cause us to be naive. When we truly open our eyes and see all that is going on in the lives of those around us, it can be heartbreaking. My heart has been so heavy today. While I have loved celebrating with my sweet boys, my heart breaks for those ladies who haven't been able to have children or who have lost children. My heart aches for those whose mothers haven't loved them the way they should have or who have passed away. My heart has been so aware of how this day can bring joy to some but pain to others. 

I guess in the past I've turned a blind eye to those who might be hurting on Mother's day but this year I was forced to pay attention. With pain in my heart, I have also realized how blessed I am to have these sweet boys. Life as a homeschooling mommy of a 7 year old, 3 year old, and 7 month old may be hectic, busy, and sometimes crazy but things are good! I don't get much sleep and feel pulled in 100 directions some days but, I wouldn't trade it for anything. We don't know what the future holds so today, I am grateful! I am thankful for these energetic, full of life, bubbly, little fellas! I am thankful that God chose me to be their mother. Even on the longest night and the busiest day, I see them as His greatest gifts to me! I am also grateful that God has allowed me to truly see how painful Mother's Day can be. It helps me to see how much of an impact a mother has on her children. It reminds me that I need to be intentional about these moments I have with my boys. I want to be a blessing in their lives, I want to point them to Jesus, and I want them to see that their mother's love for them unconditional and never-ending.

Relaxing with my little loves in the hammock!
If Mother's day has been a difficult day for you, please know that you aren't alone. Even those that seem to have a million things to be thankful for often have reasons that cause this day to be painful. It's important for us, if we are Believers, to remember that this world is not our home. The people in our lives were placed there by a MIGHTY God who is using those people to draw us closer to Him and He is the only Parent we really need. While it is wonderful to celebrate the mothers in our lives and to be celebrated as a mom, if we don't have anything to celebrate today, its ok. There is still so much to celebrate because one day, Jesus will wipe the tears away and welcome us into His home, where we will be accepted and loved. There will be no abuse, no fear, no pain, no loneliness, no loss. Today, as I look upon my children and praise God for the opportunity to be their Mommy, I can't help but say, "Thank you Father for the hope that one day, regardless of what we endure while on this earth, we all spend eternity with You!!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes