Beautiful Anyway

I have a Facebook friend that is about 3 weeks further along than me in her pregnancy. She is absolutely beautiful and works out non-stop. I see pictures of her doing push-ups and lifting weights almost every day. As much as I admire her stamina and determination even with that big pregnant belly, I must admit that I do not follow in her foot steps. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way putting her down, in fact I am jealous of her energy and her figure (even while pregnant) every time I look at her photos. I'm just sayin' this Momma is doing good to make it up the steps in my house or take a walk around the neighborhood. 

For weeks I've let the pictures she post make me feel poorly about myself. You'll see photos of me posted on Facebook as well but instead of me doing a one handed push-up, I'll be eating chocolate chip cookies with my kids. Instead of a photo of me lifting a 40 pound barbell, I'll be baking a cake. A couple of times I've thought, maybe she is better than me because she is so fit and determined to stay that way. Or maybe I need to get up and do some jumping jacks so that I am more like her. 

As soon as I began thinking like that, I also began a new Bible Study called "A Work in Progress" by Kristin Armstrong. The first chapter in her book is on Beauty. I am constantly amazed by God's ability to point things out to me just when I need to hear it. Kristin reminds readers that true beauty isn't defined by the world but by God. "...People look at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart..." 1 Samuel 16:7. What truly matters is our hearts, not the number on the scale, the amount of weight we can lift, or the size of the pants we wear. Thank goodness! 

28 weeks pregnant...no barbells, no workout clothes, and no one handed push-ups!
Beautiful Anyway!

Today I am thankful that even though I would rather lay around with my kids and watch the baby kick my belly than actually get up and do kick boxing, I am beautiful anyway. Even though I'd rather eat ice cream covered in magic melt than eat a stick of celery, I am beautiful anyway. Even though I weigh more than I wish I did, I am beautiful anyway. God sees my heart, not my waistline. I am beautiful in His eyes! I am also grateful that my husband considers me beautiful anyway. Somedays I probably look pretty rough with this big ol' belly, clothes that fit half way, and disheveled pony tail but he thinks I'm beautiful anyway. Maybe he needs new glasses or maybe God has blessed him with the ability to see more than appearance too. I don't know but I sure am grateful! 

So, instead of getting up to do a P90X video before bed, I'm going to go make a bowl of ice cream. Don't judge me, I'm beautiful anyway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes