Homeschool Day at Old Salem!

 Today Dylan and I went on our last field trip of his 1st grade year. We had a wonderful time at Old Salem's Homeschool Day. Not only did we get to tour Old Salem, just as anyone can do, but we also got to take part in some special "hands on" activities especially for homeschoolers. Dylan got to make quilt squares and bookmarks, use stamps, sponges, and paint. He also learned about the ways kids lived during the days when Salem was a thriving community. He observed needlework, bread making and baking, the work of the gunsmith and shoe smith, and several instruments being played. We enjoyed a full day of educational fun!

When I asked Dylan what his favorite part of our field trip was, he responded, "I just can't pick. It was all awesome." For those of you who know Dylan, you know that this field trip was right up his alley! He loves history. I think that is why he couldn't pick a favorite! If I had to guess, I would say his favorite thing would be seeing the Tavern where George Washington spent the night. We also ate lunch at this tavern. You see, George Washington is one of Dylan's 4 favorite presidents along with Abraham Lincoln, Harry S. Truman and James A. Garfield. Don't ask me why he loves those 4 but he can give you a list of reasons why they are his favorites! He was thrilled to see a hand written letter by George Washington today. He kept talking about him and making speculations about what Washington would have liked or disliked while he stayed in Salem. It's so crazy to hear a 6 year old talking about our 1st president like he knew him!

Homeschool day at Old Salem!
Every child in Old Salem in the 1700's had to learn at least one instrument or sing in the church choir.
Painting with stencils and sponges. 
Making quilt squares.
He had to try out the water pump a couple of different times!
Learning how kids in 1700's learned to write. Believe it or not, they
practiced handwriting for 2 hours per day!
Standing by George Washington's picture and hand written letter. 
Waiting to eat at the Tavern, where George Washington stayed.
Today I am thankful for the fun day I had with my almost 2nd grader! We always have a lot of fun on field trips but today was especially good because Dylan loves learning about the past. I am also grateful that places like Old Salem host special days for Homeschooling families. All of the extra hands on experiences made today's tour even better. Dylan got a true taste of life in Salem in the 1700's. Mostly, I am thankful that Dylan is so eager to learn and that I have the opportunity to be his teacher. Homeschooling truly is a blessing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes