Hidden Treasures







While we were walking through the Bicentennial Gardens the other day, Bryan and Dylan noticed a hidden mailbox. Inside were a couple of little notepads with inscriptions from people who have visited the park. There were also little rocks laying close by with names, dates, quotes and Bible verses written on them. It was so neat! Dylan and I really enjoyed looking through the notebooks. I found some lovely poems as well as the lyrics to one of my favorite hymns, "It is well with my soul." Dylan enjoyed writing his name and drawing in one of the books. 

It would have been so easy to walk right past this hidden treasure. It was in plain sight but placed right beside a low hanging tree so if Bryan and Dylan hadn't been paying attention, they wouldn't have seen it.

 I haven't been able to get this little mailbox out of mind since we visited the park. I keep thinking, "how many precious treasures are we just bypassing each day?" In John 10:10, Jesus said, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."  I truly believe that Jesus wants abundant life for us. Life that is full of gifts that only He can give. How often are we just walking right past those gifts without even noticing them?

Some of those "hidden treasures" might include words of appreciation when you need them most, a compliment from a friend, a crisp fall night, seeing another member of the body of Christ in a sea of unknown faces, watching a baby learn to dance, a beautiful sunrise, a hug from your mother, the perfect song on the radio, a cool breeze on a hot day, the laughter of a child,  a surprise from your husband, a phone call from a friend, a Bible verse that speaks to your heart, a warm cup of coffee, the smell of freshly baked cookies, etc, etc. These things go easily unnoticed but if we pay close attention, they are happening everyday.

Today I am thankful that Bryan and Dylan noticed this little mailbox. It reminds me that simple treasures are all around us. It is easy to walk right past them but God has provided precious gifts each and every day to help us enjoy a full, rich, abundant life. I am also grateful for a Heavenly Father that takes the time bless me in so many sweet ways each day. I hope those blessings don't go unnoticed in my life. I want to live life abundantly, just as God intended!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes