Worry Adds Nothing...


I’m prone to worry. It’s something I’ve always done. When I think about all the hours I’ve wasted worrying, it saddens me. I’ve lived out many horrible scenarios in my mind that never even happened. That time spent worrying did nothing but take joy from the present because it’s so easy for me to forget WHO is in control and how much He loves me.

If I had to guess, I bet most humans spend too much time worrying. But why? Why do we spend so much time worrying over what will happen because of this or that choice, or what someone thinks about us, or where we’ll be in 5 years? Planning and preparing and being aware of the possible outcomes from our decisions aren’t bad things.  In fact, thinking through things, being prepared, and planning for the future are really good things---things that God gave us the ability to do!  But if doing those things causes us to worry and steals our peace, it is no longer worth our time.

Matthew 6:25-27
“Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes? Look a the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, yet our Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

In Matthew 6: 26, we are reminded of the birds in the air. Have you ever spent time watching birds? They flutter around without a care in the world. They make their nests, which is planning for the future, but they don’t sit on the ground studying pieces of hay and twigs debating over which would be better if a storm comes. They don’t hoard old worms away near the bushes just in case they can’t find one next week. They have all they need even though they did not sow and reap. They are fed even though they don’t store up food. They are taken care of by the Heavenly Father that created them.

I love how Jesus boldly ask, “Are you not much more valuable than they?” He is referring to the birds, of course. Don’t we realize that we’re more valuable than birds? I think that question is the root of our worrying. We don’t know our value. We vastly underestimate how much our Heavenly Father loves us and what lengths He would go to take care of us.

1 John 3:1 (TPT) says, “Look with wonder at the depth of the Father’s marvelous love that he has lavished on us! He has called us and made us his very own beloved children.” We aren’t just another bird God created. We are His children. If He cares for each and every bird He created, how much more will He take care of us, His children.

Today I am thankful for Jesus' reminder of how valuable we are.  It’s important for us to remind ourselves of that each day! God isn’t holding back blessings or reluctant to shower us with love. He is going to take care of us and we can rest in that truth.


Who can add an hour to his life by worrying? No one. Worry just steals our peace and joy in the present. Worrying adds nothing. I challenge you  (and me) to intentionally remember who we are to our Heavenly Father and choose to keep our eyes on Him instead of our circumstances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes