STANDING with us.


On the way home from church tonight, I heard the most amazing verse. 2 Timothy 4:17 says, "But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength."  I was really touched by those words. As soon as I heard the verse, different people and situations started popping in my mind. My head was filled with pictures of folks who have lost loved ones recently, dealing with divorce, lost their jobs, suffering with infertility, been hurt by a friend, recovering from surgery, and so much more. These are real people with real, serious struggles in their lives. How amazing is the promise found in 2 Timothy 4:17??? No matter what we're dealing with...any of those difficulties I just mentioned, and so many more, God is standing with us. He is giving us strength.

In this book of the Bible Paul is writing to Timothy. Timothy had been like a son to Paul for a while and eventually a partner in spreading the Gospel. At this point, Paul has endured tremendous difficulty. Chapter 4 is the end of his second letter to Timothy and he's telling him how hard the road has been. Verse 16 says,  "At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them." Paul was alone, deserted, and awaiting Timothy's arrival. But then in verse 17 he says, "But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength." 

So these words truly were written during a difficult time by someone who experienced the Spirit of God standing with him and giving him strength. I think this is great news for us. Regardless of what we're dealing with, whether it be a terminal illiness or just a really bad day, God stands with us. If he stood with Paul and gave him strength, He will do the same for us.

Today I am thankful for the words found in 2 Timothy 4:17. It is comforting to know whatever comes our way, God will STAND with us. He is standing even if we don't have the strength to. He is holding us up. I am also thankful for the strength He bestows upon us. As a homeschool mom of 3 little boys and 7 months pregnant with a thousand things on my To-do list, I am often lacking strength of my own.  Some days I feel like I can't get it all done. God is standing with me. He is flooding me with strength and peace. It's such a reassuring truth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes