No Fishing!

This morning as a part of our sermon, Pastor Brandon said something that has stuck with me all day. He said, "You know, God has buried your sin at the bottom of the sea of forgetfulness AND, HE has posted a 'no fishing' sign beside of it!"



That thought blows my mind and fills my heart with gratitude all at the same time! We've all blown it over and over again. We've all lost our tempers, made poor choices, and hurt others. We've all said things we shouldn't, acted selfishly, and followed our flesh. Let's face it, we're all sinners and we always will be! BUT, because of what Jesus did on the cross, our sins are paid for in full. Praise Jesus! And not only has our debt been paid, but God doesn't even hold it over our heads for years to come. That is hard for most of us to believe because as humans, we remember every rude thing someone has said to us or every mistake another person has made. Some folks even tell everyone, everything they know about another sinner in an attempt to make themselves look better but in reality, that's just a sin too. As mere men, we can't fully grasp the idea of our sins being wiped away and removed. It's true though. 

I think that's why I liked it so much when Pastor Brandon said, "and He posted a 'no fishing' sign beside of it!" God isn't going to go fishing up the sins He's already forgiven. So why should we? God doesn't want us digging in our own past or in someone else's. What's done is done and if we have repented, He has been just to forgive us. If the God of the Universe can forgive us, I think we can forgive ourselves and move on...regardless of whether other people have moved on or not. 

Today I am thankful for the reminder that God is the only true authority on what is right and wrong and what is forgiven or un-forgiven. I've been hurt many times by people drudging up things from the past and I've also lived in fear of people judging me for my past. During today's message at church, I felt God whispering, "I"ve buried it Tori. If I don't see your past when I look at you, why do you? If I don't remember what You've done, why do you care if other people do? If I define You as righteous, why do you let your past say otherwise?" I am grateful for God's forgiveness and for His willingness to bury my sin at the bottom of the sea of forgetfulness. He is so good to me! And if He  isn't fishing up my past, I don't need to worry about other folks doing it....even when they try! There is soooo much freedom in that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes