Scared-y Cat?


We got our newest family member a few weeks ago. He was the most terrified little thing at the animal shelter. Seriously, calling him a "scared-y cat" doesn't even do it justice. Max, a 1 year old terrier mix, has really settled in here. He still gets shy with new people around but for the most part, he doesn't seem afraid at all anymore. That is, until he sees one our kids with a sword, bat, play gun, or anything else that they can swing. When he sees these items, he runs in fear. His tail goes between his legs and he shakes. He also flips out when one of them wears a hood or hat. I can carry a sword or wear a hood and he doesn't care but the little guys can't do it without Max becoming horrified.  I honestly think that a child used to hit him with a bat or sword. When he sees our boys wearing a hood, he can't recognize them so he gets very nervous. When they carry their pretend guns, he thinks they are going to hit him with it. Poor fella, he just doesn't realize that when we chose him at the shelter, these boys really wanted him and they would never hurt him. We adopted him and we love him, he just doesn't truly grasp that yet.

Sweet Fella!
I've been watching Max for weeks now. He has gotten better but he still shakes with fear at times. I can't help but think, this is just like us, isn't it? Even though our Creator, our Great and Mighty God, has chosen us (Ephesians 1:4), we still cower in fear at times. We have been adopted by the King of Kings (Ephesians 1:5) and are promised a wonderful inheritance (Colossians 3:23-24) yet we worry over the simplest of things. When will we grasp WHO has us in the palm of His hand? Why do worry so much? Why do we fill up with fear and anxiety with the ups and downs of life? We're just like Max. We've been chosen and adopted. We are loved and wanted. But we still allow our fear to take over sometimes.

Today I am thankful for what God is teaching me through our sweet little Max. I feel God reminding me that my fear is just as ridiculous as Max's. We would never hit Max with a bat or sword so why is he so afraid? Because he is focused on the situation instead of who WE are. Most of the time, when I am filled with worry or doubt or anxiety, I am focused on the circumstance instead of who HE is! I am also grateful for the truths that I can find so easily in God's Word. I am chosen. I am adopted. I am loved. I am wanted. So are you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes