Lessons Learned from Another's Life

I've been reading a blog on and off for a while. It's called Mundane Faithfulness. It's written by a mother of four who has been battling cancer for some time. She has fought a really good fight but she isn't going to win it, or at least not the world's definition of "winning." Soon, she will be home with her Savior and I can't think of anything better but, there is still so much sadness. She will be leaving a husband and 4 young children behind. I can't even begin to imagine how hard this time is for them. Actually, I can begin to imagine because through her blog, she has allowed the average person, her readers, in on what life is like with cancer. Before I say another word, click on this link and watch the trailer. I promise, you will be touched just as I have been,


See what I mean?? Even in that short film you can see how honest this family is with what they are dealing with. It is not easy. There are tears. Cancer is breaking their hearts. But at the same time, there is so much to be learned from this blog. Kara is so open and honest. She clings to Jesus on the good days and the bad. She reminds the reader that our time isn't unlimited, that we should embrace the good and bad moments, that we need to hug our children and dance with our husbands. She helps me to refocus on what is really important in this life. 

I also watched a clip of Kara on a radio show today. She was telling the radio DJ how much she loved being woken up in the night by her children. I can definitely relate to be woken in the night so I listened closely. She said that since the doctors have given her an approximate expiration date, she feels that at the end of each day, she marks off one of the last times she will get to hold her children. When her children wake her up in the night, she views it as an unexpected chance to love on her babies. WOW. I feel so convicted. No, I haven't been diagnosed with a fatal illness but no one knows how much time we have left in this world and even if I live until I'm 99 years old, my babies are growing up. I too should look at these moments in the middle of the night as gifts. The chance to cuddle with my boys in the dark and comfort them in a way that only I can. The chance to do those things will come to an end at some point, one way or another. 

Today I am thankful for the reminder that Kara's story has blessed me with. Life is so hard but God is so good. The fact that life is fragile teaches us to treasure it. If God never brought His children home, we'd never see the need for a Savior. We'd never take the time to show our loved ones how much they mean to us. We'd never learn to savor every second, whether good or bad. I am grateful for the moments I have with my family, for our health, and for the hope we have for the future. Kara and her family are learning how to say goodbye. They are preparing for a life without their Mommy, without a wife. They are snuggling with one another, wondering if it will be the last time. Oh Father, my heart breaks for this family. I know there are thousands of other families that are also dealing with this type of heartbreak. Lord, please wrap Your arms around them. Help them. Give them grace. And Lord, please help me, give me the grace to remember the lessons Kara's struggle teaches me so that I might treasure these moments you've given me with my family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes