Times...they are a-changin'

On Monday during the Creative Writing class I teach at High Point Home Educators, I showed the class a whole bunch of different items. The items were very random. A bib, a cook book, an ice cream scoop, a candle, salad tongs, a calculator, etc. Our lesson was about asking questions and answering questions so, the kids had to write questions about the objects and their peers would answer those questions. I realized how young these students are during this class. Or rather, how old I am! One of the objects was this....


You know, its a mouse... the kind you use for a desktop computer. The kids had no idea what it was. Absolutely no idea, especially because it had a cord attached. Another item, however, they all new very well. It was the one item I didn't think they would recognize.


 It's a K-cup for a Keurig Coffee machine. They new exactly what that was! I had no idea that a bunch of 6-8 year olds knew what a K-cup was!

I've been thinking about that all week. It amazes me how quickly times change. How things come and go. How technology changes so rapidly. I cannot believe that children of this generation do not know what a mouse for a computer is! Their families all use laptops or Ipads so they have never seen or used a mouse. The only reason our kids know what one is because we got it out once and attached it to the laptop to make it easier to use for a game. These kids do know about the K-cup because they see their parents use the Keurig, probably on a daily basis.

It just made me think about the saying "If we don't teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them not to." It's so true. Without even purposely trying, the world is teaching our children things all the time. They will never know what a pay phone is or what life was like without the internet, if we don't tell them. It just proves how intentional we must be in leading our children to Christ.  If we assume they'll learn it somehow, we're wrong. If we think that church will be enough for them, we're mistaken. We have to make Christ a priority in our families. They need to see us interacting with Jesus on a daily basis so they will know who He is, as well as they know what the K-cup is...hopefully better!

Today I am thankful for the reminder that I must be intentional about my relationship with Christ. Not only for myself, but for my children. If we don't introduce them to Jesus and teach them to make Him a priority, they may never know Him. The world will teach them all sorts of things and most of it will not point them to Jesus. I am also grateful for the jolt into reality I received this week...I'm getting old! I am still in awe of their clueless looks when I showed them the mouse. So innocent. They had no idea. I thought a mouse was still a current item but I'm just getting old! It's good to be realistic! HA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes