Have you said thank you for your teeth?

During our family devotions tonight, we read a story about a little girl going to the dentist for the first time. The story sparked a very interesting conversation that started with this question: "Have you ever told God thank you for your teeth?"

Well, I hate to say it but no, I don't think I have thanked God for my teeth. And as we discussed with our boys, our teeth really are blessings. We wouldn't be able to eat most of what we eat without our teeth. Plus, we'd sound funny and look pretty silly too. That question lead to several other questions and thoughts. Do we thank God for our eyes? For our ears? For the ability to walk? For our fingers? For how healthy we are? For how amazing our bodies are?

I have to be honest, that simple conversation really started a snowball effect in my mind. There are SOOO many things that we take for granted! I mean, even on the worst day of our lives, we are still living miracles. Our bodies have over 300 bones at birth but by the time we're adults we only have 206 because many bones form into one bone as we grow. Our bodies have over 650 muscles within them. We have 50 trillion cells at work. We have at least 14 different glands and over 50 different hormones that are at work all the time in our bodies. There are over 7 trillion individual nerves in our bodies and 78 organs doing different vitally important jobs all at the same time. (I won't even begin to talk about the brain, I could write an entire post on that alone!) How do all of these things work together so well? How is it possible? How are our lungs breathing and heart beating and senses working and stomachs digesting and memories remembering, all at the same time without us even doing anything to make those things happen? We are amazing because our Creator is amazing! 

Today I am grateful for all the seemingly simple things that I take for granted on a daily basis. Even when I'm having a horrible day or in tons of pain, I still have my teeth, my eyes, my ears, 206 bones that are strong, 78 organs that are working correctly, and my memory. If I haven't said it before, Thank You Father, for the many miracles that occur daily within my body. I'm sorry for taking so much for granted. Oh, and thank You for my teeth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes