Laughter and Boots (well 1 Boot Anyway)

So a little over 3 weeks ago I fell down the steps. I was mostly okay. My foot was bothering me a little but my neck was hurting pretty badly. For 2 weeks I could barely move my neck. Over the past few days it has gotten much better. My foot, on the other hand, has gotten worse and worse. I had a hard time walking for the past 2 days. So, I gave in and in went to the doctor. I had an xray which showed no fractures. My doctor is pretty sure that I have a torn ligament or tendon. Without a CT scan she can't be sure which. She prescribed a beautiful black boot that I have to wear for at least 2 weeks. If the pain hasn't improved, I'll have to have more tests. 

Pretty, huh?
I just have to share the ridiculous time I had while picking up my boot. Apparently they are only sold in weird little places that make prosthetic limbs. I tried to get one at a pharmacy but they no longer sell them there. So, after being at the doctor for 3 hours and then waiting for an hour for my doctor fax over the prescription, I thought I was finally going to get fitted for the boot. I had 10 minutes until I had to leave since Bryan was watching my boys and had a meeting soon. The receptionist kept saying it would only take a minute but now the man who would fit me for the boot was busy. So, I had to leave, go get my kiddos, and come back.

Now remember, this is a little place with fake limbs and such laying around and I had to take my 6 year old, 3 year old, and baby inside. The receptionist once again said that it would only be a minute or two. Me and my wild bunch sat down in a couple of chairs. Tyson was screaming, Dylan was begging for gum or my phone or something, and Evan was crawling on the floor. Seriously. We were THAT family. I got Tyson settled and Dylan finally gave up. Evan, however, must have thought that this place was a playground. He was running from chair to chair, jumping on them, finding leaves and pushing them into the mail slot, and just smiling at me when I told him to stop. I was just about to lose it when a sweet older couple came in and sat down. The man was filling out paperwork and the woman sat down beside of Evan. They became friends instantly. Thank you God! I think He sent this lady in at just the right time...right before I pulled my hair out! They talked for a while and then read a magazine together. The man finished his paperwork and sat on the other side of Evan.  (Evan doesn't know a stranger.) He began chatting with him as well. A "minute or two" has turned into 45 minutes. I look over at Evan and has now laid his head on the man's arm. He just made himself right at home....thank goodness these lovely folks were grandparents. They loved every minute of it! Several minutes later it was FINALLY my turn. I gathered my youngins' and hobbled to the back of the building. My phone rang at the same time. I answered it and turned back to make sure Evan was with me. Bryan was on the phone and all he could hear was me bust out laughing. I couldn't help it. My precious, adorable, sweet, cute, innocent, little Evan was running through the weird little office screaming "here's your new leg Mommy!" He was proudly carrying a prosthetic leg above his head. Oh. My. Goodness.

Sometimes laughing is all you can do.

I grabbed the fake leg, put it back where it had been, held Evan's little hand and tried to stop laughing. I got fitted for the boot while my two oldest sons fought over a balloon and my baby babbled and cooed so loudly I could barely hear the instructions. Then I slowly walked back out into the waiting area to pay for my gorgeous new boot. Let  me tell you, it takes a few minutes to get use to walking in this thing, especially while carrying an infant car seat, holding a 3 year old's hand, and juggling my extra tennis shoe and a few rubber gloves that my boys wanted to take home. I limped through the never-ending hallway while listening to my kids ask for something to eat, again.  I have never felt so ridiculous. I really think we could have been on a commerical advertising for a spa getaway or cruise...."do you need a break? Is life overwhelming? Could you use a vacation? We've got the perfect getaway for you, Momma!" 
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in that building busted out laughing when we finally made it out the door...which was another adventure.

Evan laying on his new buddy's arm. I wish I could have gotten a picture of
him running around with the fake leg! It was the one on the bottom left side of this picture

Today I am thankful for laughter. A "minute or two" ended up being over 6 hours trying to get this boot AND it cost $120. My kids were wild. My foot was hurting. I was just about to lose my mind. Instead, I just started laughing. I just couldn't help it. Honestly, it was good for my soul!  I am also thankful for my new boot. I wish I could have spent that money on a new outfit or a pair of new boots but this one is already helping my foot. I am hoping I won't have to wear it too long but at least it keeps my foot from hurting so badly while I take care of all these kiddos. 

Even on the most ridiculous of days, my God is so good to me! I bet He was laughing too! (with me, not at me, haha)

"A joyful heart is good medicine..." Proverbs 17:22a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes