Family Traditions!

It just wouldn't be Christmas without Moravian cookies! I've been making these cookies every Christmas for years and years. As kids, my brother and I went to my grandma's house every year to make Moravian cookies. Once I had kids, I took them to my grandmother's house to make the cookies. Now that Grandma is in Heaven, I make Moravian cookies with my kids. I have my grandmother's rolling pin, cookie cutters, and cutting board to make them with.  So, its really special to me to continue this tradition!


As we took turns rolling out dough and cutting out cookies yesterday, Dylan nonchalantly told me the history of the Moravian cookie. I have no idea how he knows the history of Moravian cookies but honestly, I am blown away by all of his knowledge every day. 

Did you know that the Moravian cookie dates back to the 18th century? The tribes would use very expensive spices to create a dough. They would all take turns rolling out the dough, everyone in the family had to participate. They rolled the dough as thin as possible to make the dough last because the spices were so expensive. So, that's how the tradition of the "thinnest cookie in the world" began and why families usually make them together. Isn't that interesting? Dylan is always teaching me new things!




This year my mom gave me my great grandmother's apron. I wore it while making the cookies yesterday. It was sort of surreal to think about all what Granny Vel spilled on that apron or how many cookies Grandma Davis made with those cookie cutters. I've never been a history buff or cared much about antiques but the older I get, the more amazed I am by things that belonged to people from previous generations. In this photo my children are holding their great grandmother's rolling pin and cookie cutters and I'm wearing their great-great grandmother's apron. How cool is that?


Today I am thankful for Christmas traditions. I love making Moravian cookies with my kids and remembering all the times I made them as a child. I also enjoy watching them have so much fun and hearing Dylan's random knowledge. I am thankful for connections to the past as well, like aprons and rolling pins. It's just amazing to me, to think that my great grandmother wore that apron. As I wore it yesterday, I felt God whisper to me, "I loved her just as I love you." Wow. 
He is the God of every generation! He is the beginning and the end. He had great plans for her and he has great plans for me and my kids and grandkids. How amazing is our God?

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. Psalm 100:5

This Christmas, I pray that traditions and celebrations draw all of us closer to our families, but also help us remember that God is and was and always will be. When He sent His Son to be born in a manager, He knew that one day, we would be celebrating the occasion with Christmas trees, stockings, and twinkling lights. It's an incredible thought, truly! 

Merry Christmas!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes