There's NOTHING like FREEDOM in CHRIST

Almost 2 weeks ago I shared my big, dark, ugly secret right here on the internet for the entire world to see. I was expecting to feel judged and mocked and ridiculed for sharing my secret. I knew God wanted me to share my story but I never imagined all that He would do with it in such a short time!

Within 24 hours of writing that blog, I had 3 people reach out to me with similar stories. Within a few days, 1300 people had read the blog and countless folks had shared an encouraging word with me. I expected to feel belittled and uncomfortable but instead, God quickly allowed me to feel loved and accepted and free from all shame and embarrassment.

Over these past, almost, two weeks, I have been overwhelmed by the response to my secret. Satan  made me believe that I was the only person that had such a deep dark thing in my past. He caused me to believe that sharing my story would only cause people to judge and dislike me. Boy, was he wrong! God has used my story to comfort others and give them a boldness to share their stories with me. He has also changed my fear into excitement! Now, instead of wanting to hide my past, I want others to know what God has done in my life, even though my past is so ugly.

I would have never, ever dreamed that I would even share my secret. And once I did, I never, ever expected the freedom it would bring. I feel like a hundred and fifty pounds was lifted off of my shoulders. I feel like my eyes have been uncovered and I finally see things clearly. I feel like the sun started to shine in a place that had been in utter darkness for 17 years. I feel totally released of all shame and guilt and fear. I'm telling you, there is NOTHING like FREEDOM in Christ!

Today I am grateful for the freedom that I have experienced. I have walked closely with Jesus for years and years but for some reason, I never believed that sharing that secret would do anything but hurt me. Following Him in obedience and sharing so openly has given me a new, deeper friendship with HIM, that I never knew I could have. I feel like a child running through an open field with my arms up in the air and the wind dancing through my hair. This freedom can only come from Him! It's incredible!

I am also grateful for the ways God has already used my story. He has blessed others and inspired them to be open. He has caused relationships to form and trust to grow. When we are open and honest, something happens! He has also worked it out for me to be on the board of our community's pregnancy care center and for me to share my story with my entire church family. All of this, in less than two weeks. Our God is so big, so good, so able. We can trust Him with our deep, dark secrets. He can use even those things for good!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes