The Playing Field is Level.

This evening while I watched the boys at Karate, I overheard one of the other kids say, "I wish people had fangs and could spit poison!" Ummm, wow, what a thought?  What if people had fangs and could spit poison!? Can you imagine how horrible!?! 

That made me think, God could have given people fangs if He'd wanted to. He could have made us with the ability to spit poison. I mean, He did create pufferfish, cone snails, rattlesnakes, jellyfish, and alligators, all of which are deadly for various reasons. God could have given some of us poisonous venom and some of us stingers...that would have been interesting too, wouldn't it?

I've never thought about this before but truly, humans are all on the same playing field. God created us all the same. While some have more resources than others, we are created the same. Not one of us was made better than the other, with more special powers or more deadly appendages. We are all the same. 

So why do think we're not? Why do we allow others to intimidate us? Why do some people think they can walk all over others? Why do we fear other people and their opinions? 

This is how we see the "playing field."
The only thing that we can have that makes the "playing field" unlevel is a gift only available to believers in Jesus. John 14: 16-17 says, "I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever. That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him because he lives with you and will be in you."

We have the Holy Spirit living within us. He is our superpower. He is what sets us apart. He is how we have the upper hand in this life. 

One thing I've realized since I started writing this blog for 7 years ago, is that I often end up thinking very deeply at times, in response to something seemingly simple that God has caused me to notice. This is one of those times, can you tell? Fangs and Poison will do that to a girl...ha!

Today I am grateful that God created us the same. Yes, we are all unique and amazing, but we are so much the same too. Not one of us is better than the other. The playing field is level. The idea that some folks deserve more than others or that one person is more valuable than another is something that we have designed....not our Creator. 

I am also thankful that as a believer, who has been baptized in the Holy Spirit, I have the only true advantage in this life. That makes me feel like Superwoman! I have no reason to fear others anyway, but there's definitely no reason to worry since I have the Spirit of God living within me! 

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our children grew up realizing that we're all on the same playing field? What if they didn't view some people as venomous giants with fangs, as we often do, or see themselves as the giant? What if, as believers, they walked fully in the Spirit and treated others the way the Spirit leads them? 

That would be "His Kingdom Come!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes